New technology comes out every day, and whenever it does everyone in America scrambles to get it.  We lavish in the light of the new-found device, and then shortly thereafter it becomes a part of everyday life and we lose our fascination with it.  Many claim that all of this new technology is making us smarter and has become a catalyst for our evolution.  However, I am of the opinion that the more immediate access to information we have, the less intelligent we become as a society.

There are some people that heavily disagree with my claim.  For example, this article by The Huffington Post states that children are becoming smarter faster because “they have a library of information at their disposal.”  If they don’t know something, all they have to do is spend a minute researching it and then they know more than they did before.  The next generation’s affinity for the internet, many say, has fueled their ability to learn and thus makes them smarter than any generation before them.

I disagree with these claims.  There was a time not so long ago when if we didn’t know something, we couldn’t immediately find out the answer and I am of the opinion that this made us smarter.  We thirsted for knowledge we didn’t know, and when we found out, the information stuck with us and we wouldn’t ever forget.  And not to mention, we are slowly becoming less and less socially adept according to this article by The Next Web.  It used to be that old friends would call each other or talk face to face to catch up, but now “your friends will never have to check in on you, find out where you’ve been, or even discover what sort of food you like” because they can find all this out without even speaking to you.  One of the most important parts of being human is contact with other humans, and as soon as we forget how to do this we have, as a result, become far less intelligent than before.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Technology Making us Less Intelligent? by Zach is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. PJ 6 months ago

Zach, I fully agree with your post. I think we’ve become slaves to the modern consumerism and we would fail as a society without it, like a drug. Think of it like a leach that if it gets too big it will kill you if you take it off, technology has become so prevalent to every individual that we couldn’t function without it. I also agree we have to put things in perspective, really look at the pros and cons. We’ve become so distracted with the “newest” technology we don’t take time to look at the effects it will have on us. This was a very enlightening post, hope to see more from you.