Many people come to America thinking it is the land of the free and home to an abundance of opportunity. Two thirds of Muslim Americans in America say this is true, but they say they are currently dissatisfied with the way things are going in the United States today. They feel as if they are not treated properly because of their religious practices and where they are from. Studies show there have been a considerable progress on racism, meaning it has gone down. According to Joe Waters, as of right now in America, “poverty is a bigger barrier than racism.” Providing people with a sense of being will help them with their confidence of living a happy life, in the United States of America.  

Many people think to live the American Dream it means that you are able to own your own home. A lot of people think this, ⅔ of millennials think this to be exact. Yet, almost 40% of Americans don’t own a home. Although in other countries people own homes and have families they aren’t able to achieve the American dream, because they do not live in America. According to an article written by Shawn Carter, many things that put the American Dream at risk are consumer debt, lack of financial literacy, and stagnant wage growth. These three things tie into why people don’t take the risk of becoming a homeowner. The baby boomers generation tried to prosper, build, and become the American ideal. Whereas the millennials care less about what it truly means to be an American. I know that if more Americans took what it meant to be American seriously, more people would work hard to own a home.  

The Pledge of Allegiance was composed by Rear Admiral George Burch in 1887, and revised by Francis Bellamy 1892. The Congress eventually adopted it and gave it the name “The Pledge of Allegiance” in 1945. It states, “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” Most any American you may ask can recite this without hesitation, because this pledge is who we are, for the reason being that almost anyone you ask to say the pledge can recite it. We also are known for our Constitution made official June 21, 1788 and Declaration of Independence made official July 4, 1776. Although, The Pledge of Allegiance originates from the Declaration of Independence more so the the Constitution. They are all very important forms of who we are as Americans, it’s just the knowledge that we the people have of these three things that make us truly who we are.   We stand in front of our American flag and recite the Pledge to show our respect for those fighting for our freedoms.

According to Sebastian Junger, we have a need to feel a part of a community, to have a purpose and understanding. People no matter their religion or ethnicity people need a sense of belonging, for example when a disaster happens people come out of their comfort zones and help others because this is what we have always done, and who we are. This is when being an American truly comes into play because you are helping one another. Being a part of a community helps people stick together and overcome things that they are threatened by with one another, rather than alone. Belonging is a human need, just like water or shelter. Without being a part of a community and having that sense of belonging, many people would feel no need to wake up every morning to achieve their goals and dreams.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What it Means to be American by Sierra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Logan 4 months ago

Sierra,
    I totally agree with your perception of what America has become today. We profess ideals of patriotism, both in the pledge and in our daily lives, yet we have grown lax in practicing them. We say anyone can succeed here, but it has become increasingly difficult to escape poverty. I like how you mentioned stagnated wages, because I think its one of the biggest issues in our country. The average income has remained relatively constant over the last few decades, but the price of living has skyrocketed. Thus people who used to be middle class are now living below the poverty line. They are certainly not achieving the American dream. This is a fantastic topic and I look forward to hearing more.
    -Logan

2. Jessica 4 months ago

Thanks Sierra for sharing this, I enjoyed reading it. As an immigrant in this country I share the same perception as they do. America is an open place for opportunity and dreams, but that comes with a lot of hard work and dedication. Some people are more kind and open heard-ted to immigrants some targets Muslims by linking them as terrorist. At the end of the day, what an individual does should not target a whole group of people.