How is intended obsolescence contributing to the increased laziness and lack of individual thought in today’s society?  An will it effect our environment as a whole?

Technology has seem to almost overcome society, all you hear about is when will the new iPhone come. Intended obsolescence is the idea the a product was designed with a limit causing the consumer to continuously buy the newest product. We as a society have become so addicted to the “newest” technology and we’ve become slaves to the big name companies, like Apple or Microsoft. This addiction has pulled us away from reality and caused us to limit our own thought and unique ideas.

An article done by Acciona, on the effect of Intended Obsolescence to the environment, “All these pieces of hardware contain dangerous chemical substances and materials which pose a serious threat to both people and the environment…” Not only does this idea of Obsolescence contribute to the distraction of our minds it causes physical harm to those around us. Just another example of being to distracted from reality to see what is happening. Our dilemma becomes, that all working products follow this same idea and it gets to a point where you have to get a new “gadget”. Our lives have become totally dependent on our cellular and/or computers etc.

I think the most effected by this is the younger generations such as the millennials and teenagers these days. An article done by Kristen Berry talks about the negative effects it has on the younger generations. She says “Cell phones are an addiction for many teens. From sleep deprivation to texting and driving, cell phones present a health hazard for teens who cannot break away from the social pressures of constant contact via cell phone.” Not only do we see the dependence for our cellphones but the physical effects can go from sleep deprivation to harming our eyes. Of course no one will care or want to know because it will force them to give up they’re “drug”. I know i couldn’t give up my phone or my other “gadgets” do you think you could?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Intended Obsolescence by PJ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Noah 9 months ago

PJ,
    While planned obsolescence is something I knew about before, I never even thought about its environmental impacts until now. One thing that comes to mind for me is just shortages of raw materials; metals like tellurium and neodymium aren’t too expensive now, but are being used exponentially more and more and could become ridiculously expensive. I think the larger issue is the consumer culture of being “okay” with planned obsolescence. People buying products designed to go obsolete seem to often turn a blind eye to that fact because the product is popular, when they’re really just hurting themselves and the world.

2. Zach 9 months ago

This is a really interesting post, PJ. As a teenager, I can say that my phone has become a part of me, and when I don’t have it it almost makes me anxious. There is an article by CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/health/teens-cell-phone-addiction-parents/index.html) about how 50% of teenagers in a poll said that they were addicted to their phones, and I highly recommend you give it a read because it is extremely interesting. That said, it is also pretty scary to think about how despite the fact that smart phones have only been in existence since the early 2000’s, it has already become such a huge part of our world. I’ll look forward to your next post.

3. Keaton 10 months ago

Hey PJ,
    This is a very interesting post. I, much like everyone else on this forum, am a teenager as well. I am pretty addicted to my phone and cannot get off it sometimes. As surprising as it may seem, however, I am not as bad as some of my friends. What I want to know is why is playing on your phone SO addicting? Why are we drawn to it and why our younger generation?