,

Our nation, a beacon of freedom, should still be able to protect Americans as well as others, while still affirming the values of privacy and liberty. This delicate balance questions how much the government should know about its people.  The National Security Agency helps keep Americans safe from terrorist threats.  Although safety is important, having our civil liberties protected is a fundamental right.   Should we investigate terrorist threats and avoid privacy intrusions? A majority of Americans, 54%, disapprove of the U.S. government’s collection of telephone and internet data as part of anti-terrorism efforts, while 42% approve of the program.  

Examples of text that explore the problems National Security Agency’s programs could create is George Orwell’s 1984. An imbalance of power between individuals and the government is the overlying issue.  There is room for the government to know too much about it citizens which is dangerous. Surveillance programs should be limited to suspicion of terror threats instead of threatening citizen’s privacy.  What do you think?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Government Knows Too Much by Andrea is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lizbeth 2 months ago

Dear Lizbeth Alvarado :
    I am agreeing about your post “Government Knows Too Much” because sometimes we want our own privacy but we cannot do that because the government is always looking at us. Another reason why I agree with your post is because they do have a lot control over us but it is for our own good. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ The National Security Agency helps keep Americans safe from terrorist threats.” I think this is true because they do keep us safe. This is also a great point because it makes us realize that the government does care for us and they do what they do for a reason. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you make some great points. Also, because I want to know what else yu are thinking about.
    -Lizbeth Alvarado

2. Taleb 1 year ago

Dear Andrea,
    I am enchanted about your post “ Government Knows Too Much,” because it’s true, the government is not protecting its citizens. They should not know much and their scrutiny should be limited. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Surveillance programs should be limited to suspicion of terror threats instead of threatening citizen’s privacy.” I think this is outstanding because the government should change the way their policy is and make it to the benefit of its citizens. Another sentence that stood out to me was was: “ What do you think?” This stood out to me because it is important to ask for other’s opinion. I believe that you are absolutely correct and the government should change. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to see some fabulous ideas that you might have on our government today.

3. Olga 1 year ago

Dear Andrea,
    I am fascinated about your post “Government knows to much” because you are revealing something that is true about our government these days. They are threatening people that come from other places because of where they come from, while they need to be protected and not threatened. And they should be given the same liberty and privacy as others. One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “Our nation, a beacon of freedom, should still be able to protect Americans as well as others, while still affirming the values of privacy and liberty.” because if we have the right to liberty and privacy everyone should get the same thing to create a equitable society no matter their race, background, gender, etc… Another sentence that stood out to me is “There is room for the government to know too much about it citizens which is dangerous.” where you talked about Winston in the book of 1984 by Orwell, and that really connects to our society if the government tries to control more of the things that we do in our daily lives and that would not be good because we would be under more control. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because have great ideas to write about and your writing is convincing.

-Olga M