Today people are incredibly addicted to the most widely loved thing, technology and social media. It has had a great toll on children and teens over the years by inhibiting their conversation skills and face-to-face interactions with other people. Studies show that social media is a serious addiction, and through a study they discovered that when teens are deprived of social media they show symptoms that are similar to drug or alcohol addiction and withdrawals. This is a huge detriment to society, and needs to be addressed in order to prevent further complications in the future.

Social media also has “… caused a very distinct generational gap between those who have grown up with the use of social media, and those who were raised in a time when it was not available. This addiction that they are seeing, where these children are unable to remove themselves from social media has started to become detriment to their functioning inside of social groups.” It has caused people to ignore the things they once treasured. Such as music, plays, art, books, knowledge, love, and even other people. They have forgotten how to communicate with one another. Social media has greatly decreased face-to-face interactions and has caused people to forget how to interact with others.

According to a research study, “93% of communication is nonverbal and without these cues that people use to decipher the messages that is received in person, people will not be able to properly understand what the other person is truly trying to say to them. Not only will this lead to issues with work relationships, but it will also lead to people having issues within their own families” and other relationships in their life. I have experienced this issue multiple times in my life where a friend read my text in a negative tone, which led to an unnecessary fight breaking out between us. If I had talked to him face-to-face, then this issue never would have come up. Through research and personal experience, it has been proven that social media and technology have negatively impacted the individual in a variety of aspects, and it is on us to recognize this issue and find ways to fix it.

The Negative Impacts of Social Media on Face-to-Face Interactions

CC BY-SA 4.0 How is the decrease in face-to-face communication affecting people today? by Bella is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jessica 9 months ago

Hey there! I really enjoyed your piece, and found it very informative. I had no idea that when kids have their phones taken away, they may show signs similar that of drug addiction withdrawals. That is absolutly crazy to me, and very alarming. I think that technology is really hurting the youth (kids in elementary school). I have definitely seen a change in how I grew up vs the average kid growing up right now. I can also tell that kids do have a hard time with face-to-face communication, they always seem uncomfortable and they can never hold a conversation. I think technology use for kids should be diminished. Thanks for a great read.
    Jessica

2. Sophie 9 months ago

Bella,
    I addressed something similar to your idea in my post as well. It is becoming extremely devastating and frustrating to see kids become addicted. I have seen it firsthand with some of my cousins, who have been so addicted to video games and technology that they can’t separate from it, or else they can’t sleep at night. It is truly detrimental and scary to our society. I found in my last post that it affects our relationships so negatively, and runs our emotions high, like you said about the wrong way in which we perceive messages. Thank you for your take on this issue.

3. Ellie 10 months ago

Bella,
    thank you for sharing this. This is such an important topic right now, and I believe that we must find a way to control it before it gets out of hand. I agree with Anna’s comment above mine, wherein our generation did luck out. We grew up with a good ten or so years before technology really took over. Therefore I believe that we do have communication skills and have not been too scarred by social media and technology. However, the younger generations do not know any different. Their whole lives have been iPods, iPads, iPhones, etc. It worries me that maybe they truly will not know how to hold a real, authentic conversation as they get older. This is such a scary topic, thank you so much for sharing.
    -Ellie

4. Anna 10 months ago

As the generation who has grown up with social media and texting, it’s surprising to learn that the decrease in face-to-face communication that it has caused is detrimental to our development. Speaking from personal experience, about a decade of my life was social media and texting free, so I feel like our generation has the basis of how to interact with other people. But with the age of social media users and cell phone owners getting younger and younger, I think kids are losing that knowledge. It would be interesting to see how the negative impacts you discuss in your post effect these generations later in life, when it comes to holding jobs. If you;d like to continue your research, this article provides more insight into how the decrease in face-to-face communication is affecting people, especially kids: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/09/children-texting-technology-social-skills_n_1137570.html