What rights should people living in the US have ? I believe that people in America should have the rights of freedom, freedom of Speech and, to be protected by all the laws granted by the government period. Also to be treated equally no matter the race or sexuality and for everyone to granted justice.

During Reconstruction, this idea was demonstrated when first when the Constitution of United States of America 1789 proposed the 13th amendment which abolished slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. This example shows that people were given their freedom no matter what their race was. And the 14th amendment which addresses citizenship rights and equal protection of the laws and was proposed in response to issues related to former slaves following the American Civil War. Showing that not only equality but justice that was forming in the United States. Also during Reconstruction the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was ratified stating that all men are created equal and there are certain unalienable rights that governments should never violate. These rights include the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. When a government fails to protect those rights, it is not only the right, but also the duty of the people to overthrow that government. Giving everyone a sense that justice must be served in every situation.

Similarly, events in modern times illustrate that people in the United States have yet to been fully protected by these laws because not only have we as African Americans been failed to be granted equality which is shown through the racism between African Americans and Americans, but also through the lack of freedom granted for those of colored skin and, the fail of justice being served which is shown through the killings of African Americans by white police officers who still walk upon these streets today free.

Just like during and before the Reconstruction period, many of African Americans endured racism and, the killing of African Americans just because of racism or hatred towards us and at the end of the day justice still was failed to be given even after the occurrence of these events which shows that not only has the government broken the laws of the Constitution of United States of America of 1789 and the Declaration of Independence of 1776 but also we as citizens of the United States fail to show equality amongst ourselves and also through the government.

These events share many commonalities because they are repeat of history happening all over again and showing some of the laws that hasn’t been enforced in my opinion.

In conclusion these are just some of the laws that I believe we as Americans should be granted due to us living in the United States but have failed to be given and we as African Americans and Americans should not only work toward equality but also demand that it be shown throughout our government system. Because without that there can be no such thing as making America great again.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What rights should people living in the US have? by Yanaire is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Thomas 8 months ago

Yanaire, I enjoyed reading your post. Racial equality is definitely a major issue in today’s world, and one that needs to be talked about more. You might find this article helpful: http://www.people-press.org/2015/08/05/across-racial-lines-more-say-nation-needs-to-make-changes-to-achieve-racial-equality/ I look forward to reading more from you on this issue.