I believe that to be American means that you have the same rights as everyone else and being able to do what you believe is the right thing as long as it’s not detrimental to others. I say this because anywhere you should be able to live your life without having to worry about if you’re breaking the law because you’re a certain race or not.

During Reconstruction, this idea was demonstrated when the 13th amendment was passed which abolished slavery and involuntary servitude in the U.S. In the U.S. this is only legal as a punishment for a crime that the person who is on trial for the crime is actually convicted. It was also shown when the radical Republicans were fighting for black male suffrage. This is black male voting, this shows that they wanted to give black people the right to vote.

These examples show that to be American means to have the same rights as everyone because the 13th Amendment was passed so that black people were seen as equal to others. Also, he fights for black male suffrage showed that people felt as though black men should be able to vote just like everyone else has the right to vote.

Similarly, events in modern times illustrate that to be American means to be able to have the same rights as everyone else because of certain laws that have passed and things that people just learned to deal with.

In recent history, same-sex marriage became legal in all 50 states. This event shows that no matter your sexual orientation you have the right to marry whoever you want without being prosecuted or denied a marriage license. This also shows how open-minded a society can be if they wanted to. In contrast, some people in society aren’t. For instance, a lot of time people of the LGBTQ community are assaulted if not physically, then verbally.

These events share many commonalities because they display equal rights and show that to be American means to have the same rights as everyone else as long as it’s not detrimental to another person. Through these events, we see that America can become a place of peace and actual equality if we come together as a whole and make laws that benefit everyone. Through these and many other forms of things that display equality, we see what it means to be American whether you’re a citizen or not.

In conclusion, I feel as though to be American means that you share the same rights as others no matter race, sexual orientation, position in society, or overall living status. Through the laws that have already been passed and the many laws that are bound to be passed we see how our society can become better through time. Whether it be in the next two years or twenty years if we make laws and rules that benefit everyone we could possibly become a truly equal society. Some people say that there is no way that we could become a truly equal society. But, I beg to differ.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Does It Mean To Be American? by Anthony is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. kayden 3 months ago

Anthony,

I really enjoyed your topic. from the title it really was a grasping subject. I think that people in todays society, really do forget what it means to truly be an American. You have a good understand on what it means but also share some really good examples on the meaning of people being good Americans. below I left a article on what it means to be a good American within our human nature.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientists-probe-human-nature-and-discover-we-are-good-after-all/