Has technology decreased our ability to critically think and analyze? Are we becoming lazier each time we use technology? From an article by UCLA, Patricia Greenfield, a professor of psychology at UCLA, says, As technology has played a bigger role in our lives, our skills in critical thinking and analysis have declined, while our visual skills have improved.” While we are enhancing our visual skills, we are not reflecting, analyzing, or imagining the information we received. By reading print, we are enhancing our mind by reflect what we just read and imagine what whatever we read looks like. Technology is not bad, but is it making us lazier in our thinking. The article also says most young people do not pleasurably read compared to a few decades ago. Reading is the main exercise that we can do to build our imagination and critically analyze the information we read. If we don’t read print, we declining our use to imagine and analyze information. We need to limit our use of technology. There are good and bad effects by technology, we just need to balance our usage.

Source:http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/is-technology-producing-a-decline-79127

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is Technology Decreasing our Critical Thinking? by Tanner is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zachary 3 days ago

Tanner,
    This is really interesting. I have never thought about this problem in this way. I like how you presented both the positive and negatives, because it made me think about it from both sides.