Artist Statement

German Jimenez

This movie poster represents the divide between races that is happening in this country. In this poster the two sides is a White guy named Dylan and a Mexican girl named Alejandra. Dylans father is a racist and doesn’t let his son be with anyone but a White girl. Alejandra’s father doesn’t want his daughter to be with a White man and wants him to marry someone in there race. This connects to Romeo and Juliet because there is two sides who don’t agree with one another and it is effecting who their kids can be with. This is modernized because with a racist being in charge of our country more and more racist see it as they can come out and don’t have to be scared of it. I chose Mexicans and Whites because our president has made it clear that he doesn’t like Mexicans and wants to kick us all out. This has had an effect on me because with this there is more of a chance of a family member being deported. This also gives many other kids this worry and many other worries. Kids that have been brought here by their parents as babies and do not have a citizenship many of the programs to help them have been taken away like DACA and many other. This has given them the worry of not being able to make it to college because it will be too much them.

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Modern Romeo and Juliet by German is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ceceli 3 days ago

German,
    I think this an interesting take on a modern version of Romeo and Juliet. I agree that a modern day story would involve races rather than the different kingdoms. I am not sure what the assignment was, but I would love to see this story expanded and brought to life because it is a really interesting one. I think the story of Romeo and Juiiet could be created in a multitude of ways but this type about race is definitely applicable in this day and age. Thank you for your post.