Artist statement

By: Kayla-A-Q

For my modern interpretation of Romeo and Juliet I decided to draw a movie poster and write a poem. The topic I chose to communicate is love. I decided to do this because I wanted to show how this can connect to 2017. This can connect to 2017  because love is something major especially in 2017. We have social media and that can be used that way as well.What I did was I used social media icons to blend in with stars. The reason behind that is they were called star crossed lovers and now and days a lot of relationships begin through social media. My idea behind this was mainly to connect the story and social media and make sure it’s understandable. I also wrote a poem to help connect the two even more. I chose to do two assignments because I wanted to challenge myself and help the viewer and reader  understand even more. My inspiration behind this was to make it seem like it was Romeo and Juliet’s funeral. I did this because I wanted to show that they chose to die to spread love. It seems rather different to think of death that way but that was their intention. Their death helped end the feud between the Montagues and the Capulets.They died for love and that was very important. This all can be seen in 2017, and hopefully this piece will help interpret that as well.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Star Crossed Lovers, Are You Sure? by Kayla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.