PROLOGUE

This story takes place in Oakland,

A strong rivalry

Where two sides, gangs, both feel more powerful than the other

Neither side is afraid to prove that

Violence is strong in this rivalry

A rivalry that has been going on longer than anyone can remember

Two unlucky children of these enemy territories become lovers and know death could be a consequence of their relationship

An unfortunate, but awaiting death puts an end to this dangerous rivalry

To my audience,

If you didn’t understand my prologue

You’ll fully understand my story though this play

ARTIST STATEMENT

ANGEL NORIEGA

For my modern interpretation of Romeo and Juliet I decided to write a prologue for a story in Oakland and I also rewrote a scene in the book that shows that pride is stronger than anything. I rewrote the prologue and a scene so it could make more sense to someone who tries to read it and could also make Romeo and Juliet more clear to them. I think Romeo and Juliet and Romeo is Bleeding reminds me of Oakland in some ways because if people are caught wearing the wrong color or caught in the wrong neighborhood, they could get killed or shot at. The scene I rewrote shows that each side is going to defend their side no matter what because they’re committed to their side. This relates to Romeo is Bleeding and what is going on in Oakland because gang members are going to defend and protect their side and none of them are afraid to show that because they want to prove that their side is better than any other side because of they’re all prideful. In Romeo and Juliet and in Romeo is Bleeding, both of the sides couldn’t even remember why the rivalry started, but their pride kept pushing and making the rivalry deeper. I chose to point out pride because I think it was and is the beginning to a lot of rivalries in both stories and in Oakland. Another reason why I chose to talk about pride is because pride causes a lot of violence. The Capulets and Montagues had fought because they weren’t going to back down from each other, North Richmond and Central Richmond’s rivalry has been going on for so long because their fighting for their side and are not afraid to do anything to prove that. Pride causes and keeps a rivalry going by causing violence. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 ROMEO AND JULIET IN OAKLAND by Angel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.