Artist Statement

Alex Lopez

In my project, I decided to do a book jacket and it is going to represent Romeo and Juliet in my world. I was born in Oakland so that’s why I have Oakland as my title. Oakland has a lot of violence and gun shooting and then deaths happen. In my neighborhood, violence and robberies happen most of the time. Also, on November 26, 2017, a homeless guy jumped our fence from my house and stole a number of things. Oakland is the third most violent city. There is a lot of gangs and end up killing each other. Living in Oakland isn’t that bad for me because I’m used to all the violence and gun shots but it is also very dangerous. This violence relates to Romeo and Juliet because in Romeo and Juliet, they fought for their city called Verona. In my project which is a book jacket, I am talking on how two gangs keep fighting and killing each other so one of the gangs can conquer Oakland. In Romeo and Juliet, the two groups were called, “the Montagues” and “the Capulets”. It relates to my life and also represents how I live in the place I was born in and how I have to deal with violence, gangs, and gun violence. Just like Romeo and Juliet, both of the gangs end up not using violence anymore and start minding their own business.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Oakland vs Violence by Alex is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Luis 8 months ago

I like your drawing cause it describes Oakland in a picture.

2. Sara 10 months ago

Alex,
    I’m sorry to hear that your home has so much violence going on, and the fact that it can be related to Romeo and Juliet. I am, however, impressed that you have taken this and learned from it. I think that it shows how strong this environment has made you. I can’t say that I know what your going through, because I live somewhere where violence isn’t common, so the best I can do is read about it. I am glad that the groups have gone away from the violence because that shows that they have at least started to find a solution against the violence. But I think that there are many thing that our generation can do to end this violence, and maybe live in a world of peace (or at least I hope we can). Right now the biggest trend for ending violence is that against women. This trend shows that the more it is talked about the stronger the effect it has. Here is an article about how fighting this violence has brought people together to fight: https://reliefweb.int/report/world/life-without-threat-violence-everyone-leave-no-one-behind. Thank you and I hope to read more from you in the future.