Every time I look at my parents’ picture of the day they got married, I like it because they educated me and gave me life to be in this world, and I grew up with them. They are very important for me, even though my sister and my mom are separated from my father in the Dominican Republic.  My mom is already in the process so he can come.

This artifact evokes so many memories of my father, Marino: when he raised me, when he went to Santo Domingo and I saw him, and finally when I was two-and-a-half years old, I spent my vacations together with my dad. He took me out and everything, and I never missed anything of him. I went to holy Sunday every week.  I have been separated from my father for two years, ever since I moved to New York.  When I look at this artifact, I think of him.

I need him. I want him to be here. My dad is the person I love most in this world. It is difficult for me that my dad is not at my grandmother’s house this holy Sunday. My strongest memory that I have of my father is once when he went to bed and was watching tv, he did not realize that it was me behind him and I gave him a kiss on the cheek and he gave me one too.

When I go to sleep every night I think about that the first time I came to the United States. I start to cry because I feel lonely and we need him. The day we came here I know he was sad. He is the best father. I need my father to tell me, “Darlin, come look at these clothes. this bi to go to where your grandmother) and I tell him that if he also shake his hand every day and lose money to go to the grocery store, I ask God that soon he is already here with my family.

The culture of the state is not the same as my history, my nationality is Dominican, and both are very different also the culture of New York is like very powerful to that of my country DR.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Father Marino by Darlin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Leannette 7 days ago

I’m interested in your story it reminds of when I came to NY no so long ago, I really looking forward to knowing more about your relationship with your dad and you now that you guys are in the long distance.

2. Vanessa 7 days ago

Dear Darlin ,

I am really interested in knowing more about your story. I will like you to tell us more about how was your life with out your dad. explain it a little more about your parents life.
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: is when you said you had to say good bye to your dad to come here.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me and I went thorough the same thing as you when I was 4 my dad left me in DR to come to NYC.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because your story was very interested.