Love, Hate, Racism, Separation

Love makes us happy,

Makes us sad,

Makes us tired and glad,

But why does love affect us in many different ways?

Hate?

NO!

There is love and hate

But why?

There’s love for siblings, parents, aunts, and friends

There is separation always between someone

What about the memories?

They’re just a waste of time,

We live in a world full of hate and racism,

Have you seen/heard our stupid president

F**K TRUMP!

He’s just creating HELL for people of color.

Where are our rights?

Equality?

Where are we?

Heaven or Hell

Where is the love for eachother?

Why did we choose to hate,

Are we different

NO!

But why hate then?

This hate is creating violence, death, and separation

Where are our dreams?

Hope?

Is this a joke

We hear America yelling stop “HATE let’s LOVE”

Artist Statement

Karyme Arreola Salcedo

For my modern version of Romeo and Juliet, I wrote a poem about love, hate, racism, and separation because nowadays this has been happening in our world. My poem illustrates the 2017 version of Romeo and Juliet. I wrote about theses four important words because they all represent a meaning in this world. I decided to write about love because we all have gone through oppression but we all stick up to each other and help out someway. More on, I also wrote about racism because our very own president of the United States, Donald Trump has been racist to the people of color. He believes that only White people belong in America the other reason I wrote about hate was because since ever Donald Trump became president a lot of people have been creating hate for people and making their lives miserable. However, this has impacted us by separating into groups of color, not liking each other, hating each other, and fighting over each other. 2017 connects back to Romeo and Juliet because like the Mongueś and the Capulets are two families that are separated, hate each other, oppressed each other, and love each other but their love is beneficial because they can’t be together because they’re two different families that get along.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Love, Hate, Racism, and Seperation by Karyme is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.