Artist Statement

Melody Valdez

For my modern interpretation of Romeo and Juliet I decided to create a movie poster that represents modern time. My movie poster is about a couple who were different because they were the same sex they were both women. The main characters were Rosalita and Juanita. I decided to work with a gay couple because I see  how they are treated they are treated like if they’re weird and from another planet but they’re not they are just human beings and we all have different likings. I not only see this behavior in my community but in my family as well. The reason why this impacts me so much is because I have family members that are gay and I see how the rest of my family treats them like they weren’t part of my family but they are just people and I love my uncle and aunties that are gay they are amazing people. My family and communities do not understand that it is something normal there is nothing wrong with loving someone of the same sex. The reason that I want people to be aware is that we destroy people by saying that who they love is wrong if they’re the same sex or anyone from the LGBTQ community. Because of this some people are still in the closet because they’re afraid that if they love someone and they love them aswell they’re family and community will not accept them and they won’t be able to fall in love. This is in common with romeo and juliet because they were from different families who hated each other and they couldn’t pursue their love how they wanted so that created more problems for them and their families. The lesson here is that people should be able to love whomever they’re attracted to when it’s a healthy relationship.

CC BY-SA 4.0 by Melody is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.