My views on drinking caffeine have changed drastically since I started to research the effects on the human body. When I choose to write about this topic, I expected to learn that caffeine is has either beneficial or negative effects on the consumer. However, when I was halfway through the research process, I started to realize that my idea may not be correct. Instead, caffeine has varied effects on the consumer based on the predisposed brain chemistry of the individual. In other words, caffeine affects every person different, and each person should choose whether caffeine is right for them based on their own needs, and reason for consuming. This is due to the the chemical and antioxidant receptors of the brain, and the way they react with the chemical caffeine.

First off caffeine is considered a alkaloid, alkaloids are drugs such as nicotine and morphine, they have high amounts of nitrogen, and have substances that block adenosine. Adenosine is a chemical in the brain that drives you to sleep, adenosine  binds with the receptors that trigger the “tiredness” sensation you feel when you are exhausted. Often, the blockage of this chemical is what keeps you awake and functioning after you consume caffeine. Something I discovered while doing research are the benefits of a “caffeine nap.” This is when you take a 15 or 20 minute nap to reduce the amount of the adenosine in your brain after you drink a cup of coffee. By only sleeping for 20 minutes you clear out all the chemicals that lead you to feel tired, without having to go into the “deep sleep” phase.  After waking up the caffeine removes the remainder of this chemical, this will reduce your tiredness to a minimal state and leaving you as refreshed as possible.

FInally, the most interesting thing I learned is that our bodies are predetermined to either accept caffeine or to reject it. People who on a day to day basis feel stressed out, anxious, or restless, should not consume the same amount of caffeine as an individual who does not deal with these problems. This is because caffeine, especially at higher doses, can cause one to feel worked up, or increase their anxiety dramatically. However, this does not mean they should avoid caffeine completely, instead they should consume a lesser amount than an individual without these symptoms. One should base their caffeine intake on their natural sleep schedule. Some people who have difficulty with sleeping and need large amounts of sleep should consume less caffeine than an individual who does not. This is because for everyone caffeine is a sleep inhibitor, this means regardless of the amount of sleep you need it will not allow you to get the same amount as you would without it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflection on Research of Caffeine by Damon is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.