In the past few years there has been a large increase of issues with mental health. It is said that some don’t seek treatment, however, we still have a massive part of our population suffering from mental health problems. The reasons why people don’t seek mental health care is because of poverty, embarrassment, or stigma. Today, speaking to a therapist costs so much money that many don’t have the chance to find a solution to their problem.

What people don’t always consider about mental health issues, are that if they aren’t treated they will get worse. The symptoms tend to fluctuate making it even harder to recover when you decide to get help. If you don’t seek help, many tend to have physical problems. Now, you would have two health issues. The reason this happens is because you neglect your needs for your personal health. Mental health doesn’t only affect your mind, but your body as well. An article titled Untreated Mental Illness goes into detail and is helpful to see what is going on.

People who I have talked to don’t fully understand mental health issues. A simple way I put it, is that there aren’t enough of certain chemicals being produced in your brain leading to an unbalanced system. The reason why people take pills for this is to try and create a better balance that will give you the chemicals you aren’t producing. Explaining it in this way is a better way to understand it, but there are more complications.

Personally, I see mental health issues growing every day. Most of the people I know have mental health problems, and even when taking pills, it doesn’t balance everything out for them. I feel as if many things have contributed to the mental health problems we see today. Some of these include social media, body image, self-esteem, family issues, drug problems, and plenty more. With the development of our technology and our world, it is becoming harder and harder to keep up with everything. So much pressure is put on teenagers and college students which has driven us to a point where we can’t handle it anymore. My question is what do people think is leading to these problems?

I expressed my opinion on what I think leads to our mental health problems, but I would like to hear different opinions. I think solving this problem is very important and needs to be something we focus on more. These mental health issues are threatening our friends and family, and people all over the world so how do we come together to eliminate the pain?

Some articles about untreated mental illness

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/when-your-adult-child-breaks-your-heart/201512/untreated-mental-illness

Untreated Mental Illnesses: The Causes and Effects

Consequences of Not Treating Mentally Ill

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ginger-lernerwren/untreated-mental-illness-_b_7721144.html

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mental Health Issues by Isa is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.