“Don’t worry, I went through that phase, too. You’ll get over it.”

“I just… I don’t think it’s like that?” I replied, a bit tentatively.

My mom stared dead ahead in the car, and we never said another word about it. A year later, I brought my first real girlfriend over, but I never explicitly introduced her with that title. After catching us holding hands when we thought nobody was looking, her only response was, “I think she might be trying to tell you something.” Implying that this was just some girl attempting to flirt with me to no avail.

I’ve since come out to friends, and even my brother- but all have been rather supportive, or shrugged it off as if it isn’t worth mentioning (not in a rude way, more like it’s my business only and they’re entirely indifferent on who I date, so long as I’m happy). Sometimes I’m not sure if my mom is just in denial about my sexuality, or if she’s just confused on how the whole thing works. But either way, it’s been stressful to even think about bringing it back up. Since I’ve been in a long-term relationship with a man, it hasn’t been relevant recently, but I still feel like I’m keeping secrets from my family, and I’m unable to truly be myself. So I suppose this is more of a preface to my coming out story more than anything, but nevertheless I want to put it out there that I will offer support to anybody who needs it. In our world today it can be hard to be LGBTQ+, but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel for all of us.

CC BY-SA 4.0 This Isn’t Temporary. by Amanda is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.