Here at Out of the Closet into the Home we focus on LGBT+ youth who have become homeless due to their identity. Of the 7% of youth in America that are homeless, 40% of them are homeless due to their sexuality and identity. This number is alarming and has prompted us try and save some of those lives. At our LGBT+ home we try and meet the needs of as many who have been abandoned by their families by providing the following services: suicide prevention hotline, housing for homeless LGBT+ youth, and resources for career building and future housing. We understand that being LGBT+ is not a choice and as a result we offer the option of counseling sessions for youth and their loved ones to reconnect and understand each other. A majority of the LGBT+ homeless youth become homeless under the misconception that they have a choice. These individuals do not and as a result struggle with many issues with identity that can lead to mental health issues. This is why we have our hotline. It can be a dark time for these youths who have been abandoned because of who they are. It creates a self-image that can lead one to feel helpless, hopeless, and inferior. It is important that we open our hearts and our doors to these individuals and remind them they are worth and can live successful lives. As youth contacts us and come to our home, we hope to counsel them so they can come to recognize and accept who they are and flourish.  We value their lives now we need them to as well. Its a hard world out there for these young individuals and they need to be loved and supported for who they are. If their families have failed, maybe we can show them the way to open their hearts, if we can’t, certainly we can lend a hand to better these young LGBT+ lives.

Annotations of resources for this mission statement here.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mission to Bring the LGBT+ Community Home by Aurora is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.