The generation of the baby boomers have had more time to build wealth, invest in their home, and develop a family. Many millennials are still struggling to get up on their feet without help, even then they can not figure things out.

People ask themselves, what does it really mean to be an American? If you are not from America originally you still have a purpose. We are here for a reason because our ancestors wanted a new opportunity and a better life. That is what America is for, to live the “American Dream.” Everyone has a different version of the American Dream whether that is having  a big house or a family. Older generations say the key to living the American Dream is owning the home of your dreams.

The American Dream is what you make it. America is full of different races, ethnicities, and religions. Everyone came here for a purpose to have a fresh start. Our country has never been united even though we are the United States of America. We are fighting each other inside our country. We are self destructing because people are so worried about other people and what they are doing with their lives. Some people say, “The immigrants need to leave.” America is no one’s country. Our ancestors did not live here they moved here to start a better life just like all the immigrants today. The people who claim they are Americans need to respect that not everyone was born in a “free” country and encourage them to do their best instead of telling them to leave. Most people start with nothing and turn it into something big. In America we are not free we have rights to protect the people from the government.

Older generations and some millennials believe homeownership is the most important element to the American Dream. Others also believe having a healthy and loving family is a big part of the American dream. A lot of the times you can have a lot of money with no house or family and live in an apartment and still be happy. Money is a big part of the American Dream to most people. Many immigrants and people who have lived in America their whole life believe we are free and America is full of unlimited opportunity. In the book Tribe by Sebastian Junger, Junger says, “The earliest and most basic definition of community—of tribe—would be the group of people that you would both help feed and help defend.” Most people in the United States believe having a family is a big part of the American Dream.  A lot of people do not have families so they feel as if they can never accomplish the American Dream. Others believe that is not the only key to the American Dream. Others feel welcome without a family even close communities or neighborhoods so therefore those people don’t agree with having a family equals the American Dream.

In an article in the New York Times, written by Anna North, she asked teens about what does it mean to be American they responded, “We are not the country we were before. America faded away from the heritage we were built on. America was built on Christianity and every year the percentage of Christians goes down.” The people who claim they are American should look back at what it really was before social media. They should look at themselves before judging other people. Everyone is here for a purpose. Everyone wants to live their own version of the American Dream.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What Does It Mean to Be American? by Camryn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Yanaire 1 week ago

Dear Camyrn

I feel indecisive about your blog post “What does it mean to be American “ because I agreed with the fact that many Americans believe that the American dream is to own a big home but I disagree with that fact that many think that the American dream is to just have an loving big family. In my opinion the American dream is to own a massive amount of money and travel the world while wearing designer clothes.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “The generation of the baby boomers have had more time to build wealth, invest in their home, and develop a family. This stood out for me because this made me think about how we all as people has the same amount of time as everyone else but it’s all about what you do with it.

Another sentence that I agreed with was: “ Many millennials are still struggling to get up on their feet without help, even then they can not figure things out.” I think this is absolutely true because you are right many generations continue to struggle to make a fortune without help and continue to depend on the government for WIC & Food Stamp or even health insurance. But i also do not agree with this because at the same time not everyone has the same resources or ability that would allow them to make a fortune such as an good education.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you provided statements that made you look at an issue from two point of views instead of being one sided.

2. Andrew Moreland 1 week ago

Dear Camryn,

I am lighthearted by the letter that you wrote named “What it means to be American” because I felt that you hit every point on what it meant to be American. Your letter told me that you understand the importance of being an American and that everybody has different ideas for their point of views. In addition, he knows that everyone came to America for a purpose and that America is a country for of immigrants so it is weird when someone says we don’t want immigrants.
    One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is when you said “America is full of different races, ethnicities, and religions. Everyone came here for a purpose to have a fresh start. Our country has never been united even though we are the United States of America. We are fighting each other inside our country”. I think this taught me that you knew what it meant to be a minority and that you know that pain that we experience.
    Another sentence that I knew stood out for me was when he said “Everyone came here for a purpose to have a fresh start”. This stood out to me because I feel like America is a land of ethnicity and that you don’t have to be someone your not to feel like you belong.
    I agree with everything you had to say about the American Dream for the reason that I feel like you know what we minorities go through. Another reason I agree with you is because I feel like I am happy that someone can connect with me.
    Thank you for your writing, and I look forward to seeing you in your next essay because your opinion is similar to mine. In addition, I feel like you should write your next essay as an addition to this essay.

3. Ethan 1 week ago

Dear Camryn,

I completely agree with most of your statements and points. I felt some type of hope when I was reading your short post because it shows that there people out there that want to find everyone’s American dream. This gives me hope because that means America as a whole can help each other and grow whole. Through such things as helping immigrants with jobs and asking what they want because at one point time most people think this.
    A sentence from your post that stands out is “ America is no one’s country.” This stands out to me because it is very true but not recognized. America was once a play where no human lived for the first american they came here as a way for a better life just like any other immigrant.
    Another quote I find interesting is “he people who claim they are Americans need to respect that not everyone was born in a “free” country and encourage them to do their best instead of telling them to leave”, This line is interesting because it is very true but not even thought or talked about.
    I agree with you that people shouldn’t be so ignorant about the fact that people come to America to succeed their “American Dream” because it’s harder than what it seems like when you start off with nothing in this day and age.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to looking at your other post because they are very relatable as well I agree on a lot of your points that you convey.

4. Jayla Elizabeth 2 weeks ago

Dear Camryn,
    I am surprised at the way you described the “American Dream”. I don’t know anyone who ever thought that having a dream house is a part of the “American dream”, a lot of people think that money is apart of it, and a large family, but not house. Also, you kept saying the same thing over and over, the exact same way. If you´re going to say the same things over and over, then a least switch up a few words so it’s not so repetitive. I like how you added that some thoughts of teens and how they said America isn’t what it used to be, and I agree. Thank you for writing, I hope you don’t take offense to what I have said, but use this in other articles.