To my friend who just came out to me,

First off, I want to say thank you. Thank you for trusting me enough to come out to me. I know it couldn’t have been easy, but I hope a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Know that you are valid, accepted and loved. Know that, even though we may not have the exact same experience, I still know somewhat what it is like and am here for you to talk to always. I know when I came out, I did not get the best reaction. When I came out as gay and then Trans, I definitely had mixed reactions from people. Nothing overtly negative, but there was a lot of questioning like if “I am sure about this”; “do you know how hard your life is going to be?” These questions were hard to take, especially being in the vulnerable position of first coming out. I needed the support and love of “we believe you,” or “thank you for telling us.” With this, yes there are definite struggles and challenges coming out, and once out. BUT, the LGBTQ community is awesome to be apart of. Be proud of who you are. I love you and welcome to the club.

Leogay photo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Coming Out by Leo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.