The main question that I would like to research is what plays a bigger role in the formation of our personalities: nature or nurture. Rather than being a problem or controversy, I chose this question because the idea of how and why people act the way they do has always intrigued me. Every single person has their own set of experiences and genetics so where do we as unique individuals get our specific personality traits? I think this question has many aspects surrounding it including both scientific and theoretical. There are countless scientific studies based on genetics, statistics and other numerical prospects while on the other side of the spectrum there are also many articles based on the theoretical work of psychologists, philanthropists and more, an example being Sigmund Freud. I would like to take consideration of all these viewpoints. As a final goal I would like to create a paper that addresses how this question can be put into practical use. For example, if crime runs in families or if it is based on the situations of a person’s youth; if twins raised in two completely different environments still have similar personalities; if a “gay gene” exists or if it the effects of being raised by homosexual parents. These are the types of questions that I would like to ultimately uncover through my research.  

Photo by Jon Mountjoy

CC BY-SA 4.0 Nurture vs. Nature- Research Prospectus by Jeana is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.