Throughout history up to modern day, people have been inventing and discovering many ways to have energy with very little sleep. The question is why doesn’t that person just get more sleep or find ways to get more sleep? In some situations, that is just is not possible, for example a single mom with children and who works a full time job. Most people nowadays cannot get the average amount of sleep due to busy lives that they posses. Ways that people keep their energy up is through caffeine. Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant of the methylxanthine class. It is also known as the the world’s widely consumed psychoactive drug. Caffeine is a chemical that can give your body and brain an energy kick. Caffeine is in many foods and drinks like coffee, soda and chocolate.  Although caffeine can be good in some ways, it can also be bad. Some bad effects include too much energy and can affect pregnancy. If a person is addicted to caffeine but then stops for a day they might experience headaches, anxiety, irritability, depressed mood and difficulty in concentrating. A Mayo Clinic states that “ consuming more than 500-600 mg of caffeine a day may lead to insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, irritability, an upset stomach, a fast heartbeat and even muscle tremors. However, previous research has linked even moderate amounts of caffeine to negative health effects.”  Caffeine is drug. Do you consume caffeine?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Most Common Consumed Drug: Caffeine by Laura is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. NIki 3 weeks ago

Hello Laura, I think that this article is very correct and captures the pros and cons of caffeine. I often forget that it is a drug and can actually cause slight withdrawal effects. I think like anything moderation is key and everybody is differently affected by it. I have seen many articles that also claim many benefits of caffiene as well. I would be interested to find out more about both its positive and negative effects