Have you ever said that you were OCD while making a few files neat or making sure your food is not touching? Have you ever said you are OCD for making your room super neat and tidy? Well sorry to break it to you, that is not OCD. There are many misconceptions of what OCD really is. In media, OCD in characters is viewed as some sort of perfectionist. In the TV show Monk, Monk is shown to have many symptoms and as a few of those are how picky and clean he is, saying he has OCD. Obsessions compulsive disorder is not a perfectionist like it is viewed. The disorder Obsessions compulsive personality disorder is the accurate disorder for those who are the clean freak perfectionist. As stated in 10 interesting facts and misconceptions, “Those who have OCPD (obsessive compulsive personality disorder) are doing what they do to make the world continue to feel right, but their reasons tend to be much different. They aren’t really dealing with bad thoughts or specific feelings of doom if they don’t keep everything just so.”

OCD is a silent, very personal disorder. OCD is characterized by horrible thoughts that are often violent that involved loved ones. The people who suffer from this disorder feel guilty about having these thoughts, and stop obsessing over how wrong those thoughts are. How a person with OCD copes with those thoughts are their “rituals”. As stated in 10 interesting Facts and Misconceptions , “Those with OCD will then do physical or mental rituals to distract themselves when the thought or thoughts try to intrude again, so they can avoid the guilty and horrible feelings. Some people will get caught up in their physical ticks to the point they hardly think about the thing they are trying to avoid thinking about anymore.” These rituals can come from a wide variety of things, like touching a doorknob, locking and unlocking a door, opening and closing drawers, picking under fingernails and much more. This disorder makes it hard for many people to live their daily lives, because these rituals often take up much of their time. This disorder is often disrespected from the amount of jokes and misconceptions that are made about it. Next time you hear someone joke about having OCD because they are a neat freak, please correct them to prevent someone with the actual disorder is not disrespected.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Misconceptions of OCD by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Shane 8 hours ago

Emily,
    I really enjoyed the passion of this post and I liked the points you brought up about the common misconceptions. I have personally fallen into the habit of saying “im OCD about that” and such in the past. I have been working on stopping that because of the people that actually suffer from it. Your points have only grown my understanding of OCD. Thank you.
    Helpful link: https://iocdf.org/blog/2017/10/03/help-seperate-ocd-myths-from-the-facts/

2. Zoe 3 days ago

Thank you for this article. I have minor OCD and it bothers me to no end when people misuse the term OCD. Luckily, my OCD doesn’t take over my life and I’m able to sometimes control my rituals, but for those who have it worse off, it ruins their lives and this is why I too find it offensive when people misuse the term. Thanks for the post!