I would like to further my understanding of introverts and extroverts, primarily surrounding the idea of the extroverts ideal. The extroverts ideal essentially highlights positives that can be attained by being an extroverted person. Reading the book “Quiet” by Susan Cain made me more fascinated by the category of introverts and extroverts. I intend to address why individuals think that being an extrovert is the more popular choice in today’s society. This is an interesting question/topic for me because I have grown up with teachers and adults expressing that being an extrovert is the only real way to succeed. In today’s world, I believe that many people are “faking” being an extrovert and it is problematic and significant because they do not know how or if it’s okay to be an introvert in a pond of extroverts. I believe that I can add statistics surrounding the idea of how many students feel as if it is positive to become an extrovert to assess a different perspective on the subject. To ensure that I get sources that differ in perspectives I will read from different spectrums of new outlets and continue to use credible sources and cross-check my work.I will try to check out TED Talks on the topic of extroverts and introverts and look at differing texts (books, papers). I will be prepared to discuss differing perspectives through looking at research, books, news outlets, databases, and studies. I think that this topic matters because there are many people in the world that are divided into the two categories and wonder if it is better to be one or the other rather than being themselves.

In our society do you think that extroverts are more glorified than introverts?  Do you think that being an (extrovert or introvert) is better than the other? Do you consider yourself an extrovert or introvert? Why?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Research Inquiry: Introverts in an Extroverted World by Gigi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. james 3 weeks ago

The source that I would recommend is a website called psycnet.apa.org which explains what an introvert and extrovert actually is and shows further research about where introverts and extroverts originated from. My opinion on this topic is that it is better to be yourself instead of thinking that being an extrovert is a better lifestyle. This creates stereotypes and insecurities for some people that think being an introvert is bad or its not cool.

2. Bryce 3 weeks ago

Gigi, I m very interested in your research inquiry. In our society, I do think that extroverts are more glorified. If you are more of an outspoken and interactive person, you are praised and shown appreciation. If you are much more quiet and socially awkward, you are more likely to be ignored and considered as weird or strange. I personally consider myself an introvert, having to stumble my way through social interactions that I can’t avoid. Commenting from personal experience, I think in our society that being an extrovert is better than being an introvert as you are more celebrated and appreciated. Here is an article comparing the two, I hope it helps as a source about how different the two are and what aspects make up both. It gives evidence about introverts and extroverts and is from a reliable source, this is an excerpt from a book written by Charles R. Martin, and is from the Myers & Briggs foundation, a foundation that researches and discusses the brain.
    http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/extraversion-or-introversion.htm?bhcp=1