One hundred years ago our world was extremely different. There was limited technology if any and the stuff we have today only belonged in imagination. In 1917 nobody could have predicted the advancements we have made and how this new technology has affected our society. With this in mind I wonder what technology will be like in another one hundred years and how our society will be affected.

It occured to me that many of our technologies have come from the minds of our great authors. Years in advance, writers of great sci-fi novels will come up with super advanced technology that may seem impossible at the time but many decades later our scientists have created these technologies. The best example I can think of is jetpacks or smart watches. These ideas seemed to have originated from movies or novels but now are possible and even in wide use such as the apple watches. This makes me believe that many of our future innovations will be based off of our current “out of this world” imaginative ideas. One example of this I found was that we will be able to upload our minds or create artificial life from “Self/less” or “Blade runner.” This excites me but also scares be because many of our current movies and novels seem to be dystopian due to the effects of technology that society. Will this be true for the future?

An interesting site I found listed many peoples top twenty predictions for life in one hundred years. Of these predictions, many involved the controlling of the natural world by our species such as our mastery over genetics or control of the weather. Others predict that our bodies will merge with technology in many ways leading to immortality, enhanced physical capabilities, and enhanced thinking. Many of these make me fear for the future especially at one point where they say, “By 2075 most people in the developed world will use machine augmentation of some sort for their brains and, by the end of the century, pretty much everyone will. If someone else does this you will have to compete.” This causes me anxiety once some people begin altering their mind or body with technology everyone will be forced to to keep up. I really love technology and its potential for great things but I never want it to run my body or take over the natural world. To think these are only the things we can come up with and that there are infinitely many other crazier possibilities makes my brain hurt. Time will only tell but for now we can keep on brainstorming and many of these ideas I’m sure will turn up in the future.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What technology will be in this world in 100 years? by Charlie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tyler 1 week ago

I personally find his a very interesting topic, and I’d be lying if I said I’ve never looked it. If you haven’t already, I suggest taking a look at the Kardashev Scale. There a ton of websites and YouTube videos that can help explain it. The scale basically shows levels of advance civilizations and their technological capabilities.

2. Koji 1 week ago

Hi Charlie,

This was a very interesting point. I agree with you that in terms of technology, we have made huge strides in the past century starting from the industrial era. It seems as though we can only move forward and at an increasing exponential rate. I found the site with the predictions very intriguing, especially the prediction of space elevators. Although I am not sure of the sources of these predictions, the website claimed there is an 80% chance that space elevators will be available to the public in the next 100 years! That is amazing to me, and I hope the prediction comes true!

Some questions as I was reading your essay, how do you use technology in your every day life? Where would you like to see our technological advances in the next 100 years?