Purpose, is what most of us strive for. To not have a purpose in life, is almost equivalent to not living at all in our society. However, our purposes in life are always fluctuating, and some answers to our questions about individual purpose do not come until later in life. So far in my own life, my purpose in some ways has been chosen for me, for example I have entertained the purpose of being a student for over 10 years, and I will continue through college, because society expects it. I also have purpose within my family, but that is something I have always had. There are many purposes we have within our lives that are not necessarily our own, yet we need them still, because without any kind of direction we would all be lost. So when it comes to the kind of purpose you get to choose for yourself, like college, or a career, or having a family of your own, it’s important to be honest with yourself, and to not let fear or society drive the choices of your life, even if you do get lost looking for your own purpose, we can always find our way.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Our Purposes by Mason is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chloe 11 months ago

Hi Mason,
    I thought your post was very interesting because it combined societies expectations with the actual desire of people living in the society. https://keydifferences.com/difference-between-culture-and-society.html this link was interesting because it categorized peoples own beliefs and purposes as an entirely different category than societies beliefs and purposes. I thought it was interesting how they made two separate to pics rather than one topic with a subtopic. I hope to hear more about your ideas after reading the article!
    Chloe