When I come home from school every day, my dog greets me at the door with a big slobbery smile and wiggly-waggly tail. This is usually one of my favorite parts of the day! I’ll set my stuff down and cuddle with her on the couch and watch television for a little bit. I love her so much I just want to squish her face! My question is, why? Squishing our pets wouldn’t do either parties good- the pet would get hurt, and we would feel bad! Well, according to this study, the cuter the animal the stronger response to the aggression. When we see something cute, our first reaction is to give the animal all our love, as much as we possibly can without hurting it, leaving us with pent-up aggression.Therefore, we get frustrated and say, “you’re so cute I want to squish you!”, or, “It’s so fluffy I’m gonna die!”. It was found that reactions like these are even stronger when shown pictures of cute animals because we can’t actually have it in our arms.

CC BY-SA 4.0 “It’s so fluffly I’m gonna die!” by Mae is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jenessa 1 week ago

Mae, this was a very interesting article. I never thought of someone saying ,”it’s so cute I want to squish it,” or “it’s so fluffy I want to die” as violent, but now that I’m actually considering those words, they are indeed pretty violent. It’s ironic that we use violent-related phrases to explain the joy-filled pleasure we fill when we se cute creatures. I think your post is very informative, and opens peoples’ minds to something new. Thank you for sharing!!!

2. McKenna 1 week ago

I love this! It is so true, I can’t tell you how many times I pick my dog up or other animals and love to hold them and cuddle with them. I thought the facts at the end were very interesting too!

3. Luke 1 week ago

I have a small shih tzu dog that greets me at home everyday and I can validate that I do feel the urge to pick her up and force her to cuddle with me for my own comfort. She doesn’t liked being picked up at first but she definitely enjoys the comfort.