I’m from bleak winters and sizzling summers
I’m from clouds of pollution dusting the valley and billows of snow decorating the trees
I’m from barefoot barbecues, fourth of july parades, and wiggling toes in ski boots
I’m from matching pajamas on Christmas Eve and mass on Easter morning
I’m from Taylor Swift filled car rides and overwhelming amounts of laughter
I’m from my mother’s empathy and my father’s stubbornness
I’m from my Aunt Ruth, the color purple, and teddy bear collections
I’m from ice skates and hockey games
From tennis balls and sore shoulders
I’m from plaid skirts, khaki shorts, and button up shirts
I’m from neverending curiosity and trembling anxiety
I’m from the suicide of my best friend
But most importantly
I’m from innumerable amounts of love
I’m from sleepovers with my sister
And routine dinner table talks
I’m from Katrina, Roger, Miranda, Ruth, and Pj.
I’m from the people I have lost, the people I have gained, the memories I have made,
And the lessons I have learned.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Where I’m From by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Ashley 2 weeks ago

Dear Emily,

I really liked your post because it not only focuses on you as a person, but the challenges you faced in your life. It showed what shaped you rather than the typical “5 facts about me” poems.

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “I’m from the suicide of my best friend” I think it was brave of you to include this because people dont normally include grief in their stories unless they’re excusing their actions.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because its hard to find writer who tell the whole story upfront rather than making you search for clues.

2. Jaylin 3 weeks ago

Dear Emily,

I am intrigued by your poem because you’re comparing yourself to many different things,for example; nature and your personal life. The part of the poem that caught my interest was when you expressed all that you have been through in the beginning, like parades and ice skating. I also love when you said at the end of your poem how you gained, loss, and learned from all that has happened to you. One thing you said that stands out for me is “I’m from the people I have lost, the people I have gained, the memories I have made.” I think this is interesting because even though you lost people in your life, you also gained and learned something out of it. In my class, we watched Chimamanda Adiche’s “The Danger of a Single Story” Your post reminded of this quote from her speech “It had not occurred to me that anybody in his family could actually make something. All I had heard about them is how poor they were, so that it had become impossible for me to see them as anything else but poor.” I thought this quote meant that a person may be different from what they seem to be. Chimamanda was told that her new house boy was name Fide and that he was very poor,but seeing his family able to make a beautiful basket gave her a new perspective of Fide. This connects to your poem because both of you are learning from experiences in your lifetime. Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to know more about what you have learned from experiences in your life. I also want to see how you can compare to other things other than nature and things you did in life.

3. Emma 3 months ago

Emily,
    I love honest pieces of writing like this. You shared all the things that make you you, and I’m proud of you mentioning PJ’s death. What happened made us into the people we are today and a lot of us are still struggling with it. It’s brave of you to openly share the affect he had on you. Thank you for sharing such an honest piece.