The thing that consistently causes me the most stress is procrastination. Procrastination is defined as the voluntary delay of some important task that we intend to do, despite knowing that we’ll suffer as a result. When faced with a large number of tedious and overwhelming tasks I always seem to procrastinate. I believe that it’s a problem with managing time, when in fact, it’s a much more complex issue. When I procrastinate I don’t do it because I underestimate how long a task will take. Instead, I seem to be overly optimistic about my ability to get the job done, as well as the opportunities that I have to get the assignment done. When I procrastinate I feel caught and trapped in a vortex of anxiety, stress and procrastination.

My ADHD definitely doesn’t help me with keeping on task and not procrastinating. It aids in my distractions and enhances them. When I procrastinate my anxiety grows immensely. Anxiety is a dread of something that can happen soon or in the distant future. This built-in survival feeling is sufficiently strong to cause you to avoid real threats, but in today’s society it’s mainly felt due to deadlines and stress.

20 percent of people claim that they are chronic procrastinators. This means that they put things off until it’s too late or until the last minute in all aspects of their lives. Procrastination is the easiest way to set yourself up to fail. If you have trouble with this, there are many resources that can help you. It isn’t something that will go away and it isn’t a sign of a lack of discipline. In order to make a change, you first have to determine what causes you to put things off.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Procrastination: My greatest stress by Johan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Claire 1 week ago

Johan,

I personally do not procrastinate because I get too stressed about assignment and so the only way to elevate that stress is to get the work done. It is interesting to me why people procrastinate. I have heard that there are some studies that have been done that show that procrastination can actually be helpful as some people work better under pressure. Do you think this is true?

2. Anna 1 week ago

Johan, as someone who procrastinates from time to time when it comes to things like essays, I think this is an interesting article. I found a website that states that “the most important part of any new habit is getting started — not just the first time, but each time. It’s not about performance, it’s about consistently taking action.” I think this is true for habit forming because if it’s less then two minutes you can start it, but for things that take longer, I find fault. I have put off getting a permit to even start the driving process for two years now and don’t think it works well. You know it’s going to be slow and it’s a the DMV, so no ones rushing… What do you think about this two minute idea?