Words are extremely powerful; they can describe any emotion we are feeling and allow us a way in which we can express them. Though there are other ways to communicate, such as with body language, it is most easily done with words. With nearly 200,000 words in the English language, opportunities to find the word that properly expresses what you need it to are endless. People tend to pay attention to what they say because words have meaning. They can genuinely affect another person, depending on how you use a word.

Enigma, happens to be one of my favorite words. The definition of enigma is a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand. Some synonyms include mystery, puzzle, riddle, conundrum, paradox, problem, and quandary. the way enigma sounds when saying it a loud is in its own way mysterious, and I happen to really enjoy the way it sounds when saying it out loud. In addition to something that is puzzling, it also happens to be a series of electro-mechanical rotor cipher machines developed and used during the time of World War I. The movie Imitation Game delves into the real story behind the machine enigma. This was when I first encountered the word and was fascinated by it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Enigma by Ceceli is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Abby 1 week ago

Ceceli,
    I never knew there were that many words in the English language and despite there being 200,000 I still often struggle with what to say. Like you, I also enjoy the word enigma and heard it first in the imitation game. There’s a certain mystery to the word itself and it almost sounds like another language. thank you for your post, and I look forward to hearing more.

2. Simon 2 weeks ago

Words are powerful as you say in your post. I see them as being part of the world that is not seen as important because of the sheer volume of them we hear. The word enigma is fascinating in that it makes the reader or listener ponder what is the enigma and because of its elusiveness it can mean different things or be a different image to everyone.