According to Merriam-Webster, Information technology is the technology involving the development, maintenance, and the use of computer systems, software and networks for the processing data. Information technology has many benefits in our lives like preventing error, decreasing the amount of paper works, creating products faster, helping us to save more time, helping us to access more information easily, helping us to communicate faster, and many more. Even if the information technology is helpful in many way in our lives, we must reduce its use because it leads to laziness, it violates privacy, and it shortens our lives. One of the ways that information technology has been helpful in our lives is that it made our life more comfortable because we can access information easily and it can help us save more time. One example of is that when a student is searching for project or homework in school, all he’s going to do is type the word in the internet and he’ll copy and paste the information and prints it instead of borrowing books from the library and read the information. Of course finding information from the book could be a harder way than typing the words in the internet. This is the one of reasons why we must reduce the use of information technology, because we will end up getting lazy and people will slowly forget the importance of books in our lives. Also information technology has made communication more easier for those who have friends and family living far. The most important problem using information technology is that our privacy. Whenever we post something on a social networking site, it would be seen by a lot of people and we can not say that all of these people are good, for sure one person from those people is a bad person. And this bad person would tend to do something bad to whoever posted on social networking site, by using some of important information that could be saved in social networking site. This is the another factor why we should reduce the use of information technology for the reason that our privacy is being violated.
Information technology also helped us in prescriptions to cure diverse diseases like various types of tumor, diabetes and many more. However, information technology abbreviates our life expectancy because of the radiation it emits. Radiation give bad effects in our body. For instance in the event that we are exposed to so much radiation, our nerve cells and veins will gradually die. Furthermore, it could cause seizures and lead to death. This is only an illustration and there are numerous more cases of the awful impacts of radiation. So this includes with that we need to stop using information technology to reduce the people getting sick and dying because of radiation is being emitted. Another disadvantage is that information technology is one of the reasons why people are losing their jobs. The main reason is that technology can produce products faster and in a shorter time than any other human being. This is also why we need to minimize the use of information technology to lessen the usage of energy, to lessen the pollution in our environment and to decrease the number of unemployment around the world. In conclusion, I believe that the information is not quite positive to us in our everyday lives yet additionally unrewarding. Unrewarding since it leads to laziness, it violates privacy, and it abbreviates our lives.

Work cited

“Information Technology.” Merriam-Webster, Merriam-Webster, www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/information%20technology.

Oska. “Researching.” Advantages and Disadvantages of Modern Technology, 1 Jan. 1970, oska-researching.blogspot.com/2008/04/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-modern.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Information Technology by Onyu Pak is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nick 2 weeks ago

Onyu, I really liked your argument and it is a very important topic for everyone to be thinking about. Many people spend way to much time on technology and I think they forget about the harmful effects its over use. I really like how you structured you argument and it was a great piece overall.

2. Cullen 2 weeks ago

I found many points in this very interesting and true but the internet can also make people less lazy and more active. For example, just yesterday I looked at a new website I friend of mine showed me that has many different techniques for working out. And everyone that becomes lazy makes that choice to use the internet to watch Youtube videos instead of sleeping or doing homework. If you text and drive, you are choosing to put yourself at that risk of ending your life and others. If your copying and pasting articles for school projects, that’s on you and no one else. You are making the choice to cheat yourself. If you post your entire life on social media then that’s your choice and those terms are almost always in terms of agreement when you sign up or the app whether that is Snapchat or Instagram. There is almost always a choice and that is up to the user, no one else.
    -Cullen

3. Eric 2 weeks ago

Hi Onyu,
    Great job on your essay! I agree that technology can be distracting and bad at times, but that is only because of how we choose to use certain types of technology. Smartphones, for example, provide us with an unlimited number of ways to communicate and interact with each other as well as providing great educational resources if we use them right. However, if we use them wrong, smartphones will be a tool of distraction, causing us to lose sleep and our connection with the real world. It all depends on how we use the technology given to us.

-Eric

4. Jeana 2 weeks ago

Hi Onyu,
    Your argumentative essay was an interesting read. I like how you focused on both the advantages and disadvantages of technology. By stating the advantages and then following up with an explanation about how their disadvantages overrule them, I could see how technology may be much more detrimental than I previously thought. However to strengthen the logos part of your argument I think you could add some statistics, credentials, or facts rather than examples which add pathos. Overall good job, reading your essay gave me a new perspective on technology.
    Jeana Park

5. Sage 2 weeks ago

Hi,

I really enjoyed reading your piece! I recently wrote an argumentative essay on technology. However, I believe that technology is more beneficial than harmful to society. I agree there are some negative effects of technology, but that is only because of us; we aren’t utilizing technology in a correct manner. Some people use their phones when they are driving which can cause deaths, however these incidents should be blamed on the driver, not the phone.
    -Sage

6. Gigi 2 weeks ago

I really like the topic that you are writing about and how you highlight that technology can make people forget the importance of books in our lives.
    Great essay!