Artificial Intelligence is the use computers to simulate human intelligence in hopes of creating a singularity – when machines outperform the human thought process to achieve tasks humans are incapable off. The growth of this technology is inevitable and is aiding our lives in unbelievable ways. The controversy of whether humans should develop Artificial Intelligence to perfection has been a topic of interest since World War 2, when Alan Turing first presented the idea that computers can be taught like children (Cawthorne). Since then, some of the most powerful people in the world have argued it’s ambiguous outcome. Notable people like Elon Musk have argued in interviews that the singularity could be the dawn of the next judgment day, due to the belief that their will be an arms race between humans and the superior machines (Clifford). But others like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are more lenient towards the bias that  A.I. will bring unfathomable progressions to humanity and is not much to worry about (Clifford). The future outcome of A.I. is evaluated in the eye of the beholder, but no matter who the beholder is, it is destined to bring upon immense change and needs to be adapted correctly. If nurtured correctly, the development of Artificial Intelligence will bring along many new advancements in humanity which will overcome its drawbacks.

Artificial Intelligence is providing us with countless benefits in science and economy and will continue to provide us with new possibilities. Weak Artificial Intelligence (Subform of A.I.) is already being adopted into our everyday lives. Just look at your smartphone’s virtual assistant or the recommended ads on your Facebook page. A poll done by Forbes shows us that, 23 percent of businesses report using Weak Artificial Intelligence in their business plans already, and 32 percent plan to incorporate it in the near future (Columbus). Through this we can see that, the corporations of America believe Artificial Intelligence worth investing into and that it is becoming the future. Moving towards a stronger Artificial Intelligence could bear many  benefits. Corporations could predict the markets beforehand, Artificial Intelligence assistants could help figure out the most creative way to write a letter to your significant other and meteorologists could predict natural disasters before they even occur. Strengthening our Artificial Intelligence will provide us with ways to get meaning out of the surplus of data we already have (e.g. population, temperature patterns, car crash patterns). If used for humanitarian purposes rather than malicious (e.g. war and self profit) ones, we can apply this knowledge in a way to benefit society as a whole and avoid any of it’s possible consequences. We have yet to see any disadvantage in our current progression through Artificial Intelligence, so why should we stop reaping its benefits now?  

The most common argument to cease Artificial Intelligence progression is that it is destined to take away millions of jobs. Although it is true that machines will take away 47 percent of lower and mid level jobs, it is also precedent that it will open up many new job opportunities along the way (Smith). We have seen this before through the “peak horse” example in Clark’s book A Farewell to Alms where he states about horses that, “Though they had been replaced by rail for long-distance haulage and by steam engines for driving machinery, they still plowed fields, hauled wagons and carriages short distances, pulled boats on the canals, toiled in the pits, and carried armies into battle” (qtd. in Taylor). From this we can see that even though one labor field is being cut through technology, there’s always more ways to optimize division of labor. Arguing that Artificial Intelligence will truly take away millions of human jobs is like arguing that there is no more work is need to be done by humanity. Artificial Intelligence will replace many lower level workers, but that means it will also free up their time. This time of theirs could be used in improving or creating other fields in which Artificial Intelligence isn’t prevalent. Rather than looking at Artificial Intelligence as something which will take away jobs, it should be looked at  as something which will free up people to work on and improve other aspects of humanity.

The optimal use of Artificial Intelligence will provide us with many new advancements in science and economy which will outweigh the disadvantages. It’s versatility can help the humanity ranging from the average Joe to the largest corporations. And we can point towards the industrial revolution to justify some of the issues brought along with technological progression. We have yet to see proof showing us that Artificial Intelligence will exhibit hostile reaction and have only seen its advantages. The controversy over Artificial Intelligence has found itself in the conversations of many important businessmen, scientist and even popular movies like Terminator, but only time will be able to tell it’s true outcome.  

Cawthorne, Nigel. Alan Turing: the Enigma Man. Arcturus, 2014.

Clifford, Catherine. “Bill Gates: I Do Not Agree with Elon Musk about A.I. ‘We Shouldn’t Panic about It.’” CNBC, CNBC, 26 Sept. 2017, www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/bill-gates-disagrees-with-elon-musk-we-shouldnt-panic-about-a-i.html.

Columbus, Louis. “How Artificial Intelligence Is Revolutionizing Business In 2017.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 12 Sept. 2017, www.forbes.com/sites/louiscolumbus/2017/09/10/how-artificial-intelligence-is-revolutionizing-business-in-2017/#3508d3055463.

Smith, Aaron. “Public Predictions for the Future of Workforce Automation.” Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech, 10 Mar. 2016, www.pewinternet.org/2016/03/10/public-predictions-for-the-future-of-workforce-automation/.

Taylor, Nathan. “Since Cars Replaced Horses, Won’t Robots Replace People? The Future of Technological Unemployment.” Praxtime by Nathan Taylor, 18 Dec. 2015, praxtime.com/2015/12/09/peak-horses-technological-unemployment/.

Tegmark, Max. “Benefits & Risks of Artificial Intelligence.” Future of Life Institute, futureoflife.org/background/benefits-risks-of-artificial-intelligence/.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Will Artificial Intelligence End the World? by Gubi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.