Many years ago in the MLB there were names like Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, and Babe Ruth. These were players that would hit home runs like nobody’s business, and part of this was because of their use of PEDs or performance enhancing drugs.

Fast forward a few decades after the use of PEDs were made illegal, everyone loved watching people rip homers(Baseball Almanac) here and there but now it does not happen like it used to. People pay to go to baseball games to watch sweet plays and big hits, not walks and bunts (usually). If PEDs were legalized, then I would predict the amount of revenue during the MLB season would at least double. And some may say that people are stronger now than they were then because of the advancements of physical sciences to learn about the best ways to become stronger and prevent injury. Now in response to that I say that the use of PEDs would just increase their performance even more than it did in the past due to the advancements in science I spoke of earlier. This would not only increase the revenue of the ballparks and Major league clubs, but it would create more jobs as well. And what do people want more now-a-days than jobs? If you said pretty much nothing then you are spot on. The increase of jobs would be due to how easily players would be able to hit the ball farther and harder, therefore the field dimensions would have to be expanded. And the expansions would create even more jobs because of all the new spaces, more vendors would be able to use that real estate and more vendors means more workers and more workers means more jobs. Boom! I just created more jobs than the past 10 presidents combined. You are welcome America.

Not only will the use of PEDs help players be able to hit the ball harder and farther, but they would help on the defensive side as well. If players would be able to throw harder, they would be able to make more insane plays. As well as if they are able to react faster, move quicker, and cover more distance. Not to mention that the human body is built to adapt. And if you have 115 mph projectiles being fired at you, there is no other choice but to get better. So even without the use of PEDs for the defensive aspect, players would still be improving. Now for all the people that dislike players hitting home runs like it is nothing, I just pleased you defense lovers as well. For my baseball fans out there, take Manny Machado, the third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles. He is one of the best defenders in the game right now and has multiple awards to prove it. Machado can reach 90+ mph on his throws across the diamond, but imagine if he used PEDs. He would be making even more unbelievable plays that no regular human being on this planet could make.

Many people view using steroids as cheating because of how strong they make you. Another common thought is that that they just make you totally shredded and ripped. But that is not 100% true, not exactly at least. Shoving a needle in your butt cheek will not make you yoked overnight. And to my knowledge, many people are not aware of the fact that you still have to work out. Steroid use rather promotes the growth of muscles and helps them get bigger and adapt to higher weight (get stronger) at a faster rate than someone not using steroids. Not to mention I can be pretty sure that the majority of the human race (excluding those that do not have access to them) have used steroids before. Often doctors will prescribe a type of steroid to help your body fight off disease or sickness. Prednisone and cortisone, ring a bell? If you’ve ever had an allergic reaction then you may have been given prednisone. Or cortisone can be used as an injection to reduce swelling or inflammation. For example, my dad goes to his doctor every few months to get a cortisone shot in his shoulder to help with pain. As does my mother for her knee.

Home Runs League by League Totals on Baseball Almanac, www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr6.shtml.

medicinenet.com/steroids_to_treat_arthritis/article.htm.

“Positive Effects of Steroids.” HealthGuidance.org, www.healthguidance.org/entry/11627/1/Positive-Effects-of-Steroids.html.

“Steroids to Treat Arthritis: Side Effects of This Treatment.” MedicineNet,

CC BY-SA 4.0 Steroids Make Baseball Better by Cullen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sergio 6 months ago

-Dear Cullen:
    – We disagree that steroids Make Baseball players, and our reasons are:
    -Reason 1: How the PEDs work
    -Many years ago in the MLB there were names like Babe Ruth, Belly Bonds and Mark Macgyver. These were players that would hit home runs like nobody’s business and part of this was their use of PEDs.
    -Reason 2: You have just a few examples of players using PEDs
    -You just named 3 players from the past who used PEDs
    -Reason 3: Baseball can be good without PEDs
    Otis Nixon was renowned for his speed. He tied the MLB record for most stolen bases in one game in 1991, and on July 25, 1992, he used the same speed and athleticism for one of the most impressive homerun robberies ever. After a dead sprint, Nixon managed to soar over a high outfield wall to steal the homerun from Andy Van Slyke. This catch also saved the win for the Atlanta Braves, keeping their 13-game winning streak alive, And he wasn’t using PEDs. Another example happened on July 9, 1985, Buck Martinez showed us the indomitable grit of the catcher by getting crushed at home plate, making the out while breaking his leg, and then tagging a second runner from a seated position, ignoring the broken leg bone. With this play, Martinez saved two runs, and he demonstrated the utmost level of toughness, mental fortitude, and game awareness ever seen in MLB history. For this incredible feat, he gets our number one pick in the MLB’s Most Impressive Defensive Plays of All Time.

-NAMES:
    -Jimmy Maresca – 2034883@jeffcoschools.us
    -Sergio Siviero – 2192901@jeffcoschools.us
    -Missael Caro Chumacero – 2160881@jeffcoschools.us

2. Daniel and Karley 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

After reading your article, my partner and I agree that steroids should be allowed to be used to make baseball a better game. Your claim is that steroids should be allowed in baseball. In the blog Huffpost they state that ”the term “performance enhancing” is a mischaracterization” which can mean that they should use a different form of steroids like creatine “an amino acid that builds lean muscle, and a variety of other supplements” and other legal drugs to help make the game of baseball better for people to watch. Our claim is that steroids should be allowed is baseball.
    The next reason why we agree with your claim is that even though it can hurt the players, the game in general always hurts the players. For example, in the Huffpost blog it states “Professional athletes already take on enormous health risks: pitchers are virtually ensured to destroy their arms, catcher hurt their knees (and if you like to watch football, you really shouldn’t talk about player health). Players are getting injured all the time, and health risks associated with sports constantly change over time.” This tells us that the players are always at risk with getting injured, and that people aren’t focused on the injured, but more on the game itself.
    Our third piece of evidence that steroids make baseball players better at their sport and it doesn’t make them like like a huge buff guy. The text of Huffpost blog they said “The press focuses most on the former All-Stars and MVPs who are caught for PED-use, but a good number of PED-users never experience the hulk-like transformation often associated with PEDs.” This tells us that when people use this drug, they don’t act like this hulk-creature-human, they act better than that, but they are overall better at sports.
    With all of this evidence from Huffpost, we show that we agree with your claim in your agreement that “Steroids Make Baseball Better.” The evidence that we share here today is saying that we couldn’t use other drugs like creatine and growth hormones, and that we should use steroids, that the players don’t think about the consequences, or health risk of the steroids, they get at the time with the way they play baseball, and that steroids don’t make you buff at the time, they just make you be better at the sport that you play.

Coleman, Jess. “Let Baseball Players Take Steroids.” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 14 May 2016, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jess-coleman/let-baseball-players-take_b_7279494.html.

3. Mary and Max 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

After reading your post, our group concluded that we disagree with your claim. Throughout your article, you explain how you believe steroids would benefit baseball, but don’t the use of drugs defeat the purpose of the game? Our group thinks that the long term health effects are not worth the risk and the use of steroids in baseball ruin the spirit of the sport.

In your post, you explain how the use of steroids would increase the intensity and skill level of the players. For example, you say, “Machado can reach 90+ mph on his throws across the diamond, but imagine if he used PEDs. He would be making even more unbelievable plays that no regular human being on this planet could make.” We can see how the use of PEDs can help players’ muscle growth, but in our opinion using drugs ruins the integrity of baseball. Derek Jeter once said, “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there is no excuse for anyone to work harder than you” This quote explains that talent isn’t just given to you. You have to have dedication to excel at a sport, and using steroids destroys the purpose of hard work. Procon.org states, “Performance enhancing drugs are not only prohibited because they violate the spirit of the game but because they can damage the health of athletes” This research explains in more depth how using steroids can ruin the ethics of the game.

Another result of using steroids is the long term effects that the drug can lead to. For example, there are many health risks involved with the usage of steroids. According to our research, steroids can lead to kidney problems or failure, liver damage, enlarged heart, high blood pressure, and a higher risks of strokes and heart attacks. As you can see, steroids have a long lasting impact on players’ health and it has harmful effects in the long run. You could argue that drugs used in sports make the game more entertaining and increase the intensity of the game. This argument is weak because the long term effects these drugs have on players is dangerous and harmful.

Although 80% of baseball players have been caught dealing with steroids, we believe drugs have no place in sports. Steroids should continue to be illegal due to the health effects it can cause and the use of steroids violate the ethics of game. Therefore, steroids do not make baseball better.

Sincerely, Mary and Max

Mayo Clinic. “Doping: Do You Know the Facts about Performance-Enhancing Drugs?” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 15 Oct. 2015, http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/performance-enhancing-drugs/art-20046134.
    National Institute on Drug Abuse. “Anabolic Steroids.” NIDA, Mar. 2016, http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/anabolic-steroids.
    “Steroid Suspensions.” Steroid Suspensions, Baseball Almanac, http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/steroids_baseball.shtml.+r

4. Audrey 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

After reading your arguments we disagree with your statement that PEDs should be legalized. We believe that your argument was more on the unprofessional side. You presented evidence that was misleading. We feel as though hitting the ball farther would not bring in more money to the parks. The player would not be playing with their own ability, but with drug enhanced ability. It’s a form of cheating because it makes the players to ability to play in human. Although steroids could make sports more interesting and overall enhanced, using them is still a form of cheating and could cause many issues within the profession. Evidence we found states,“when steroids were legal they would hit 52-66 home runs per season.” We have also found other evidence that says, “if steroids are legal there should be another league called the enhanced league where it is not an issue.” In conclusion, we disagree with the use of steroids in professional sports because its a form of cheating, it's unfair, and its misleading to people who are observing the sport.

5. brodie 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

After reading your post our group agrees that steroids do make baseball better. You made a great point when you pointed out that “people pay to go to baseball games to watch sweet plays and big hits, not walks and bunts.” This highlighted how PEDs could make it so that more people would want to go to the games. It was a good note “that If PEDs were in the fields then the players would hit the ball further making it so the fields would expand.The expansions would create even more jobs because of all the new space because more space more vendors and more vendors more workers means jobs.” Our groups thinks after a lot of research that PEDs would help because the the baseball teams would make for money because of all that the PEDs did to the players and that means that the clubs could improve baseball and have more things for there team. A counterclaim we found was that they aren’t healthy for you and it is not your natural skill hitting those balls and making those plays. I think that these are weak because they could find ways to help your body or just make new PEDs and making you stronger does not mean that you lose your natural ability because you still have to know how to field throw and hit. In conclusion you can see that PEDs would help baseball and america by adding more jobs and more fun.

The Tylt. “Is Baseball More Fun with Steroids?” The Tylt, 2016, thetylt.com/sports/is-baseball-more-fun-with-steroids.

6. Jackson 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,
    My group read your recent passage about the MLB allowing PEDS, we all think you’re passage was inaccurate and childish which led us to disagree with your claim. In your article you said,”The increase of jobs is because the players are going to be hitting further and better.” But last season in 2017 the MLB players were without steroids and they set a new single season home run record with 6,105 home runs. The most during the steroid era was only 5,693 in 2000. Also, you quoted,”Therefore the field dimensions would have to be expanded.” When expanding a major stadium in the MLB it would cost a lot for the cities and communities around the ballpark. Based off research in Chicago at Wrigley field they added about 1800 seats and the estimated cost was 15-50 million dollars, costing about $18,000 per seat.
    Another thing you have to worry about is MLB players overdosing.Trying to become the best player using the most steroids so they can just keep working out more and more. Eventually you will build up a tolerance so you will have to take more and more. Only some MLB players use PEDS and the few that do, they use it to enhance their performance and their strength. Steroids aren’t all that great there is symptoms and effects if you use it. Some effects of using steroids are kidney and liver damage, enlarged, more anger, depression, and swelling in the legs. The effects of using steroids can lead a player that is really good to end their career because of the effects of steroids. But also that they banned steroids in the MLB in 2003 because it made the players to play better which was a advantage that wasn’t fair to other teams which made everyone to like one team because they would have the best players. And how is the MLB going to get around the fact that steroids are illegal on a federal level. Aslo fans have said that allowing steroids in the MLB is and has ruined the history and the game of baseball.
    You could say that the MLB was dying until the 1998 season after the the strike in 1994 where Mark McGuire had 70 home runs and Sammy Sosa had 66 home runs and they were competing with the all time home run record. But the only flaw to that argument is in the 1998 World Series they had a total viewership of 20,340,000 compared to the World Series in 2016 which brought in a viewership of 22,847,000. That number shows how the viewership in the steroid era is around the same as it is now.
    If you look at all the facts there is really no good reason to have steroids in baseball, but when players use steroids they can have major medical concerns and when you compare the stats together they are mostly similar and the baseball we have today is still better.
    Jackson, Joel, and RJ
    Work Cited
    Crane, Marisa, and Dan Wagener. “Steroid Addiction: Signs, Symptoms, Effects and Treatment.” Recovery.org, 29 Mar. 2018, http://www.recovery.org/topics/steroids-addictive/
    “Home Runs League by League Totals.” Home Runs League by League Totals on Baseball Almanac, Baseball Almanac, 1999, http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hitting/hihr6.shtml.

7. Jackson 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

Jackson, Joel, and RJ

Work Cited

8. Jackson Joel RJ 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

Another thing you have to worry about is MLB players overdosing.Trying to become the best player using the most steroids so they can just keep working out more and more. Eventually you will build up a tolerance so you will have to take more and more. Only some MLB players use PEDS and the few that do, they use it to enhance their performance and their strength. Steroids aren’t all that great there is symptoms and effects if you use it. Some effects of using steroids are kidney and liver damage, enlarged, more anger, depression, and swelling in the legs. The effects of using steroids can lead a player that is really good to end their career because of the effects of steroids. But also that they banned steroids in the MLB in 2003 because it made the players to play better which was a advantage that wasn't fair to other teams which made everyone to like one team because they would have the best players. And how is the MLB going to get around the fact that steroids are illegal on a federal level. Aslo fans have said that allowing steroids in the MLB is and has ruined the history and the game of baseball.

Jackson, Joel, and RJ

Work Cited

9. Daniel and Karlie 6 months ago

Dear Cullen,

10. Ethan 12 months ago

Hi Cullen. I was able to read the first paragraph and I immediately noticed the topic of Steroids and the usage of them; you should not use Stanton as your cover Image because I know for a fact that he does not use and performance enhancing drugs. The whole article was misleading because you decided to address job placement? Steroids and creating jobs are to very different topics. Also maybe not say “Thank you America” that just sounds very unprofessional. Thank you

Cullen Holmes 12 months ago

I am fully aware Stanton does not use PEDs but he he’s jacked and I liked the picture of him. And because of how far the players would be able to hit the ball, people would probably start to complain and then the parks would need to be expanded to make it harder to hit homers. Therefore more space would need to be filled and more vendors could fill that space, which in turn creates more jobs. And I addressed job creation because people complain about it and it’s annoying so I decided to address it in a comedic manner. And I actually said you are welcome America. Again, for comedic purposes. Thank you for your response Ethan.

11. Trip 12 months ago

I liked the idea you present in this argument. People often look back on the sport of baseball and see those for mentioned huge names, but forget about the peds involved. The sport was fine before and was only made less entertaining by these laws. I think it would be interesting to see a visual or textual statistic of the relationship between this law and baseball ticket/viewing numbers.

the notion that jobs would be created seemed a bit far fetched to me, while the revenue of a park may have dropped, did it drop enough to fire people? Also most of the jobs in baseball parks are from separate entities, meaning they work for another company that rents space, so if the park suffered the job is not lost only moved.