With college sports views as high as ever, now college athletes are pushing even harder for a salary. Many players feel that with the level of income their sports bring to their universities, that they should be compensated for their hard work. However, I believe, college athletes should not be paid for playing their sport because they have already been compensated for their work with tuition scholarships.

Between both division one and two college athletes, approximately 2.9 billion dollars are given a way to 150,000  NCAA college athletes (NCAA). With the vast majority of athletes already receiving scholarships, to add a salary to these players seems like too much. It does not make sense for these athletes to be paid on top of already getting a free college education.

If a college athlete is getting paid to play, why would they go to class. By being paid to participate in an extracurricular, it takes the focus away from class work, and pushes these athletes to only focus on their athletic careers. Looking at the numbers of how many college athletes make it into a professional league, it doesn’t make sense for these athletes to only work towards their athletic goals, and not their academic goals.

Finally, it is hard to believe that these young, amateur players would be responsible enough to obtain and maintain the amount of money they would be making. They would be making so much in such little time and there would be no one there to help guide them through the process (Lemmons). Time and time again, young professional athletes who are making millions find themselves bankrupt in a matter of months. In fact, Sports Illustrated found that about 78 percent of professional athletes will go broke within two years of retirement (Harnett). Who is to say that it won’t be the same case for college athletes.

College Athletes should not be paid for playing sports because it would end up ruining what so many people love about college sports. People love watching such young and non-professional players play at such a high level and across the country. If college athletes were paid, it would shift this level of play to be more focused about money, and not getting an education and becoming better.

Work Cited

jcoleman@ncaa.org. “Scholarships.” NCAA.org – The Official Site of the NCAA, 10 Mar. 2017,

www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships.

Lemmons, Malcolm. “College Athletes Getting Paid? Here Are Some Pros And Cons.” The

Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 29 Mar. 2017,

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/college-athletes-getting-paid-here-are-some-pros-cons_us

_58cfcee0e4b07112b6472f9a.

Hartnett, Tyson. “Why Athletes Go Broke and What We Can Do About It.” The Huffington Post,

TheHuffingtonPost.com, 5 Mar. 2015,

www.huffingtonpost.com/tyson-hartnett/why-athletes-go-broke-and_b_6812864.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should College Athletes be Paid? by Nick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Evan 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

We agree with what you say about how college athletes shouldn’t be paid to play sports. We agree with you because the college athletes would be a pay to play which means that it would turn college sports into the same thing as pro sports. College athletes should be paid for several reasons. The reason that college athletes shouldn’t be paid to play the game is because the athletes most likely have a scholarship making their education free or pretty cheap earning as a player defeats the purpose of free education. Another reason they should not be paid is it would make the game worse because they wouldn’t care about getting better and playing for the money making the game boring and the sales of people coming to games could go down a vast majority because people are uninterested in the game. Most college athletes would probably not take care of their money and buy thing they don’t need. A source claimed that “most pros go bankrupt after 2 years in retirement.” Some people think that college athletes should be paid, but they are wrong and here’s Why We believe that college athletes shouldn’t get paid to do multiple reasons that would make the sports worst and Paying college students just doesn’t make sense.

Evan & Matt

2. Spencer 3 months ago

Dear Nick,
    After reading your article we agree that college athletes should be paid. We thought that you made a good point when you said “Between both division one and two college athletes approximately 2.9 billion dollars are given away to 150,000 NCAA college athletes.” This shows us that college athletes already get so much money from there scholarships. There whole tuition gets paid and they aren’t professional athletes yet. If college athletes were paid why would they need to go to class? It is a privilege to play sports in college if they were being paid for an extracurricular activity there would be no need for athletes to go to class. If they were paid they wouldn’t have to do good in there classes to play the sports because they are already getting paid. Lastly, college athletes shouldn’t get paid because amatuer players would not be responsible enough to obtain and maintain the amount of money they would be making.9 Sports Illustrated found that 78% of professional athletes will be broke within 2 years of retirement. In 2013 a survey said that 69% of the public is opposed to paying student public athletes. Though there are good reasons why they should it still makes sense and has a better argument college athletes should not be paid.

Work Cited
    Martinez, Madisen. “Should Collee Student-Athletes Be Paid? Both Sides of the Debate.”CollegeXpress, Carnegie Dartlet, 20 Mar. 2017, http://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/athletics/blog/should-college-student-athletes-be-paid-both-sides-debate/.

3. Ainsley, and Harper 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

Once we read your post, we agreed with your opinion that college athletes shouldn’t be paid. During the second paragraph when you wrote, “With the vast majority of athletes already receiving scholarships, to add a salary to these players seems like too much. It does not make sense for these athletes to be paid on top of already getting a free college education.” These sentences showed that athletes in college should not be paid for doing an extracurricular activity, and they already had scholarships paying for their personal education. We found evidence supporting the fact that “athletes would go bankrupt during the times where they receive a salary,” from Madison Martinez from collegexpress. As college athletes get paid, they would be tempted to spend the money they earned which is why they would not be mature enough to be making that much money. The athletes would also not be able to obtain that much money while they could be throwing parties or spending money on certain wants that they do not need. Again, Madison also states,”If salaries were given then then these college-athletes would have to pay taxes. Depending on the student-athletes income, those taxes could be high enough to reduce what they earn until the can barely cover tuition.” College athletes wouldn’t be responsible enough to earn money and at the same time having to go through paying taxes and college tuitions. You could argue that, the students make the school look excellent, considering they will work harder and focus on their sport more since they are getting paid, and they also are maintaining their grades to be apart of that sport however, that claim is weak because the athletes get to choose to play that sport and the school is not responsible for acknowledging that. When the athletes would be making that much money they would get used to the fact that they never have “not enough money” so they would spend it on things that they would not need. Overall, college-athletes receiving earned money for playing a sport during a time where they need to get an education is not a good plan. As it says in the articles, “Should College Athletes be Paid” by Nick and “Should College-Athletes not be Paid? Both Sides of the Debate” by Madison Martinez.

Martinez, Madisen. “Should College Student-Athletes Be Paid? Both Sides of the Debate.” CollegeXpress, 20 Mar. 2017,

4. Peyton 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

To begin, after reading your post, our group agrees with you that college athletes should not get paid. A great point that you made was how it would be hard for such young college students to maintain all of the money that they would be receiving which highlighted that it takes the focus away from class work, and encourages them to only work on their college sports careers. Next, another important note we found in your writing was “… Sports Illustrated found that about 78 percent of professional athletes will go broke within two years retirement (Harnett). Who is to say that it won’t be the same case for college athletes.” Your evidence addresses that if they get paid, it would ruin what so many people like about college sports. Lots of people like watching young kids play high up, not watching the game to shift just cause college athletes will get paid. According to the research that our group found, they get very high scholarships and go to very pristine colleges. To go into further detail, they go to private colleges and get free entry into college, as other students may not. Stated by CollegePress.com “It does not make sense for these athletes to be paid on top of already getting a free college education.” This is important because it is showing that these students are already foruantate enough to have what they have, they don’t need to be paid. Another reason why they shouldn’t be paid is “Former college stars on professional indoor football squads make about $225 per game-with a $25 bonus if the team wins.” This is saying that even though people want them to be paid, they still get paid in a game, maybe not as much as they want but they still get paid, and don’t need more money. You could argue that being a college athlete is a full time job, and they have make sacrifices to play such as school, family etc, so you may say they have a lot on their plate. Other people could say that college athletes shouldn’t get paid because most athletes in college will not make it to the pro’s. Infact only 3.3% of these athletes make it. Some could also say that they should pay a lot more attention to school, as a “back-up” plan incase they don’t make it. If they were paid, they could get cocky, and not pay as much attention to school. To conclude, based upon the reasons and evidence that was cited, it’s not even a question whether or not student athletes should be paid, because they should not.
    Gleeson, Patrick. “The Likelihood of Someone Becoming a Professional Sports Player.” Chron.com, Hearst Newspapers, 23 Mar. 2018, work.chron.com/likelihood-someone-becoming-professional-sports-player-26110.html.
    Martinez, Madisen. “Should College Student-Athletes Be Paid?” CollegeXpress, Carnegie Dartlet, 2018, http://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/athletics/blog/should-college-student-athletes-be-paid-both-sides-debate/.
    Nick. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, Nick, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athletes-be-paid-2/.
    Thelin, John R. “Here’s Why We Shouldn’t Pay College Athletes Money.” Time, Time, 1 Mar. 2016, time.com/money/4241077/why-we-shouldnt-pay-college-athletes/.

5. hannah 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

6. Josie and Haley 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading your post, our group agrees with you that college athletes should not be paid. You made a great point when you included “between both division one and two college athletes, approximately 2.9 billion dollars are given away to 150,000 NCAA college athletes”. As well as when you said “it doesn’t make sense for these athletes to be paid on top of already getting a free college education”. I think that it is also important to mention that the schools wouldn’t have enough money to pay all of the athletes. According to information we found, they said, “It would also make the cost of college more expensive. The money would have to come from somewhere. That would just make it harder for a regular student to attend a college”. Most of the money that they make off of games goes toward paying coaches and buying equipment, as well as improving their sport facilities. Which in the end, doesn’t leave any money to pay all of their college athletes. Another point is if colleges are to start paying athletes it would create a domino effect essentially. For example, in a piece of information we found Andrew Zimbalist stated, “If we pay the athletes maybe we should also do it for the first violinist in the school orchestra, or the lead actor in theatrical productions, and perhaps popular professors should allocate course enrollment slots to those students who bid the highest”. With this, it would take the focus off of learning for college students and put more of a focus on whatever their strong suit it, whether it be sports, art, theatre, etc. Like you said, “By being paid to participate in an extracurricular, it takes the focus away from class work, and pushes these athletes to only focus on their athletic careers”. You could argue that college sports are basically a full time job, but this claim is weak because college athletes already get paid through their scholarships. Even though they don’t have any spending money during their time at college, they will be free of college debt the rest of their life. Which seems like a much better deal than being paid.

Josie and Haley

WORKS CITED
    Jones, Maurice Reed. “Why College Athletes Should Not Be Paid.” The Odyssey Online, Odyssey, 7 Mar. 2018, http://www.theodysseyonline.com/college-athletes-should-not-be-paid.
    Martinez, Madisen. “Should College Student-Athletes Be Paid? Both Sides of the Debate.” CollegeXpress, Carnegie Dartlet, http://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/athletics/blog/should-college-student-athletes-be-paid-both-sides-debate/.
    Nick. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, Youth Voices, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athletes-be-paid-2/.

7. Austin 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading your post, our group agrees with you that college athletes shouldn’t be paid. You made an excellent point when you included the research from NCAA, which highlighted that, “Approximately 2.9 billion dollars are given a way to 150,000 NCAA college athletes.” It was important to note that, “With the vast majority of athletes already receiving scholarships, to add salary to these players seem like too much.” With this fact in mind, we think that if college athletes were to get paid that it would be too much money given to them and the universities could spend it somewhere else. According to information that we found, that if college athletes get paid that there would be unfair compensation between players. Which could bring problems to the team. We also found in our research, “Many of these athletes come from urban, low-class families and often leave school early because of the unimaginable pressure to be the main provider for their family at a young age.” So if they were to get paid they would be able to help support their families and themselves and maybe stay longer to help the team win. But this claim is weak because many of the athletes might be good enough to go pro so then they would want to further their career and leave. After looking at the facts, we concluded that college athletes should not get paid.

Work cited
    Lemmons, Malcolm. “College Athletes Getting Paid? Here Are Some Pros And Cons.” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 29 Mar. 2017, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/college-athletes-getting-paid-here-are-some-pros-cons_us_58cfcee0e4b07112b6472f9a.

Nick. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, Youth Voices, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athlete“““`s-be-paid-2/.

8. Wilson, Jonas, Boink 3 months ago

Should College Athletes Get Paid?

Dear Nick,

We read your article on college athletes getting paid, and we highly agree with your claim. We agree with your claim of college athletes not being paid because you had good points such as, “ If a college athlete is getting paid to play, why would they go to class.” This encompasses your point very well because the point of a college athlete is that they got their for school by playing well at their high school, if you take away the focus on academics you just have the NFL, but for college aged kids. Another good point is how you said “… It is hard to believe that these young, amateur players would be responsible enough to obtain and maintain the amount of money they would be making.” This is a good point because a lot of students this age have not taken an economics class which is vital when you are earning this much money so fast. We have our own evidence that strengthens your argument, such as a shocking 78% of NFL players go bankrupt or are under financial stress 2 years after their retirement, in comparison 60% of NBA athletes are broke within 5 years of retirement, and those are grown men who made millions of dollars, not a college aged student athlete. Next, is that they already basically get paid in the form of tuition. The average college tuition is $34,740 a semester which is a lot of money. Everything previously stated should lead most people to the conclusion that college athletes do not and should not be paid.

Sincerely, Wilson, Jonas, And Beau

“Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athletes-be-paid-2/.

Hartnett, Tyson. “Why Athletes Go Broke And What We Can Do About It.” The Huffington Post, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 5 May 2015, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tyson-hartnett/why-athletes-go-broke-and_b_6812864.html.

9. John and Brendan 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading you post, we agree that college athletes should not get paid because college athletes get free education or discounted. According to the NCAA approximately 2.9 billion dollars are given away to 15,000 NCAA college athletes. Many people have to pay for their whole tuition while many student athletes get full ride scholarships. It just isn’t fair that they would get a full ride scholarship as well as getting paid. Also, according to Sports Illustrated about 78% of professional athletes go broke within two years of retirement and who says that college athletes who are younger won’t do the same. Many millionaire professional NFL players are struggling to get money after they have retired. In addition, college athletes won’t go to class if they’re getting paid. If they’re getting paid to participate in extracurricular activities, the focus will be taken away from class. Also, the bigger universities and colleges have an unfair advantage in recruitments because they are able to pay their players more money which attracts the better players to their team. However, one could argue that college athletes should be paid because it makes it easier for students to pay for tuition, board, and housing. In conclusion, we strongly agree that college athletes should not get paid.

From, John and Brendan

Scoop, Jackson. “The Myth of Parity.” ESPN, ESPN Internet Ventures, 12 Sept. 2013, http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9666004/pay-play-answer-college-athletics.
    Lennox, Kevin. “College Athletes Should Not Get Paid.” Logos Lite, 14 Feb. 2017, http://www.niacc.edu/logoslite/2017/02/14/college-athletes-should-not-get-paid/.
    Thelin, John R. “Why We Shouldn’t Pay College Athletes | Money.” Time, Time, 1 Mar. 2016, time.com/money/4241077/why-we-shouldnt-pay-college-athl

10. Rhylan 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

After reading your article we agreed that college athletes should not be paid. We think this because the players wouldn’t be playing anymore for fun they would be playing for the money. Also where would the money come from not that many people watch college sports anyway, unless it’s march madness. Also, the money people do use to watch college football still goes to the teams and the university , just not straight to their bank account or their mailbox.

Another idea is that most athletes are getting a scholarship that’s worth up to ten thousand dollars if your getting a full ride. Right now the average player gets twenty three thousand dollars from their scholarship. But being on a college team is a full time job between practices and going to the gym they put a lot of time into it but they still shouldn’t be paid. So, that is why we agree with your article and opinion on why college athletes should not be paid.

Work Cited

Manfred, Tony. “Here’s How Much Big-Time College Athletes Should Be Getting Paid.”Business Insider, Business Insider, 20 Mar. 2013, http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3.

Martinez, Madisen. “Should College Student-Athletes Be Paid? Both Sides of the Debate.”CollegeXpress, http://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/athletics/blog/should-college-student-athletes-be-paid-both-sides-debate/.

11. Wil 3 months ago

Dear Nick,

I recently read your article about if college athletes should get paid. I believe that the athletes should get paid. You said they shouldn't get paid, yet we think they should, you stated in your text, “Many players feel that with the level of income their sports bring to their universities, that they should be compensated for their hard work. However, I believe, college athletes should not be paid for playing their sport because they have already been compensated for their work with tuition scholarships.” What about the players that don't get a scholarship? They contributed to the University's income too and they haven't gotten anything out of it. The colleges wouldn't have to pay the players much just enough to get them by because their sport is their job. All these athletes need is what they need outside of school, so the colleges don't have to pay them millions like the NFL just enough for them to buy what they need. The University of Alabama got 143.3 million dollars just from people going to the events. These athletes have no time for a job because the sport takes up all their time, on average a college athlete spends 43 hours of their week on their sport. In America the average time spent working is 35 hours a week. College athletes spend 8 more hours on their sport each week than the average citizen does working. Then you have to think about how much they spend working on the sport and their commitment to the sport outside of planned practice sessions. You could argue that scholarships are enough payment, but this claim is weak because athletes don't have enough time to make money for their other needs. Plus not everyone gets a scholarship so some players need money for college tuition as well. College athletes are given quite a bit, yet they aren't given enough for their needs with the time they devote to their sport.

Alex. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, Creative Commons Attributions, 13 Feb. 2018, http://www.youthvoices.live/2018/02/09/should-college-athletes-be-paid-3/.
    Edelman, Marc. “21 Reasons Why Student-Athletes Are Employees And Should Be Allowed To Unionize.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 6 Jan. 2015, http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2014/01/30/21-reasons-why-student-athletes-are-employees-and-should-be-allowed-to-unionize/.
    Nick. “Should College Athletes Be Paid?” Youth Voices, Creative Commons Attribution, 22 Nov. 2017, http://www.youthvoices.live/2017/11/08/should-college-athletes-be-paid-2/.

• Wil and Alex 3 months ago

plus Alex

12. Morgan 4 months ago

I thank you for this article because I too believe that college athlete’s shouldn’t get paid. The points you have brought up are very true. People say they want college athletes to get paid, but do they think about the repercussions? Will they still want to watch college sports when the level of plays goes down because the kids are more focused on getting paid then worried about getting better like you said? Not only do they get scholarships, but benefits of free clothes and a few extra perks. For some athletes they even get extra money for living expenses, groceries, and even some spending money. Just like other people that have to go through college and start there career once they graduate and then they can make money, athletes should have to do the same thing. Again, thank you for this article I really enjoyed reading it!

13. Olivia 8 months ago

Nick,
    I think this is my favorite article I have read so far. You gave your opinion about the topic but then backed up your thought process with hard evidence and sited all of your sources. I agree that college athlete should not be paid because of the tuition break they are already receiving and the fact that it will take away from what college sports are meant to uphold. Very great job! Here is an article I found that could help you with your further research: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/college-athletes-getting-paid-here-are-some-pros-cons_us_58cfcee0e4b07112b6472f9a.

14. Trip 8 months ago

I agree with what you have written and I think it might be interesting to add that money makes the game more violent and therefore too intense for a college student. The size difference between an NFL player and an NCAA player is frighteningly large but there must also be another reason for this difference in play style and amount of injuries. What if that difference is motivation in the form of money, personally if I knew that I was getting paid millions of dollars and that my only goal was to try my hardest to tackle another player, I would give it my all, add 300lbs to the equation and damage can be caused. To subject a college kid to life changing events so early seems unjust to me.

15. Thomas 8 months ago

Nick, this is a very interesting topic. I love watching college football myself, so I hear a lot of talk about this topic. One article I found that may be helpful is http://college.usatoday.com/2016/10/20/should-athletes-be-paid-to-play/. I look forward to hearing more about this topic from you in the future.