The bell rings and everyone rushes out of school. The students are all headed to different places for different reasons, yet they all have one thing in common: there is a boatload of homework waiting for them when they get home. This is a daily routine for today’s students, and they older they get, the amount and difficulty only increases. Homework causes more harm than help for students. It causes long term bad side effects for students, poorly prepares students for college, and does not improve students’ grades.

Students’ homework causes long-term bad side effects. Students stay up late at night to finish meaningless assignments. They are getting less sleep, often much less than the eight hours recommended. Less sleep causes more stress in teens, leading to anxiety and depression. In the article, “Is Too Much Homework Bad for Kids’ Health”, the author states, “In 2013, research conducted at Stanford University found that students in high-achieving communities who spend too much time on homework experience more stress, physical health problems, a lack of balance in their lives, and alienation from society.” (Levy para 17). When too much time is spent on anything, there are going to be consequences. They will not always be positive outcomes. Beyond the health reasons, homework ruins the joy of learning students have, because there is so much and it is so difficult.

Homework is a poor preparer for college. “For every hour in class a student is expected to work at least an hour outside of class on reading, writing, research – often more” (Wiggins para 3). This means that students are spending even more time on their pointless homework. Often times, the assignments are high in quantity, but low in quality.  Students are given homework assignments in an effort to boost their grades. In college, students are not given homework or other assignments to improve their grades after a poor test or essay. Whatever grade you get on a quiz, essay or test is the base of your grade. College classes do not provide a completion credit space in the final grade. Going into college, a student may think that they can do homework to bolster their grade, but this is not the case. It leaves teenagers with a false sense of security for the future.  

Despite popular belief, homework does not necessarily improve grades. Students copy homework, or simply do care to get the answers right, because they know they will still get the points. This does not prep the student for the upcoming test, and thus further hinders learning and drops the overall  percentage in the class. In an article by Vicki Abeles, “When Homework Does More Harm than Good”, she reports, “Mark Barnes, a teacher, decided to do away with homework in favor of emphasizing a project-based classroom. Barnes found that his students became more motivated to learn independently outside of school and ultimately out-performed grade-level peers with more traditional classrooms.” (Abeles para 7). This real-life example is proof that homework does not have a proven benefit. Practicing the material in class, when the student can ask the teacher questions while they are stuck is more beneficial. Instead of trying the problems and getting frustrated at home, and giving up and using Slader (online website with many math textbooks’ answer keys) to finish the rest of their math homework, they can get the help they need to learn the challenging material.

There is no reason we should still be assigning homework to today’s students. It causes detrimental side effects in kids, poorly prepares them for college, and does not improve grades. The amount of homework assigned is too much for kids to get done, and get done correctly. It causes stress and anxiety with no real benefit. In order to pacify the epidemic of homework, we need our teachers and administrators to stop assigning mountains of homework, which can make every student’s life less stressed.

Abeles, Vicki. “When Homework Does More Harm than Good.” The Huffington Post,        

TheHuffingtonPost.com, 1 Oct. 2013, www.huffingtonpost.com/vicki-abeles/when-homework-does-more-harm-than-good_b_4021926.html.

Levy, Sandra. “Is Too Much Homework Bad for Kids’ Health?” Healthline,

Healthline Media, 11 Apr. 2017,

www.healthline.com/health-news/children-more-homework-means-more-stress-031114.

Wiggins, Grant. “8 Reasons That Today’s High School Is Poor Preparation for Today’s College.”

Granted, and…, 9 Apr. 2015,

www.grantwiggins.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/8-reasons-that-todays-high-school-is-poor-preparation-for-todays-college/.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Homework is Harmful by Elizabeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Isaac 2 weeks ago

Elizabeth,
    I really enjoyed the subject matter of this essay. This argument is picking up a lot of steam as the US brainstorms ways to revitalize our lacking education system. More and more countries are doing away with homework and are focusing on a more test and project oriented approach. An exchange student I had described school as no less stressful due to the lack of homework, but overall more informative. I like when you said “Students stay up late at night to finish meaningless assignments.” I agree that the real problem is the quality of the work some teachers assign. Busy work doesn’t help anyone and I think it needs to be done away with. Here is a source for you to explore this topic more. https://connectusfund.org/list-of-10-big-pros-and-cons-of-homework

2. Hailey 2 weeks ago

Very interesting topic, Elizabeth! I love the fact that you are not saying to rid teachers of assigning homework, but rather, requesting that they do not assign as much, or make the assignments more worthwhile I have also noticed the “detrimental side effects [of homework for] kids” as you mentioned above. I believe it is important for a teacher to consider what they are truly trying to accomplish in the homework they assign, rather than giving work without a valuable purpose. If you would like to read more about your topic, I urge you to read this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/09/02/homework-could-have-an-effect-on-kids-health-should-schools-ban-it/?utm_term=.b2ee8515bb59. I look forward to reading more of your work on this topic in the future.

3. Sara 2 weeks ago

Hi Elizabeth! I love the concept of this essay. Your argument is very strong and has a certain appeal to not only students but also parents. They could see this data on how students are being more stressed and this could lead to depression on harming their kids. I really feel like you brought up the main concerns concerning homework and developed evidence to back it up. Especially how it homework has just become something where kids hate it but just copy and get it done. The learning takes a back seat to getting points. I very much connect with this piece. Good Job DJ E-Hamm! 🙂

4. Nishan R. 2 weeks ago

Elizabeth, I completely agree that homework has more negatives than positives. I’ve done countless homework assignments that I just didn’t see much purpose in. It just takes up time that I could use to study for tests or quizes. You had a lot of good evidence in this piece, but I think one note you could of used was how countries like finland that don’t give homework. They constantly out perform us in testing and education. Overall this was still well done and It was a great idea to write about a subject many of us can relate too.

5. McKenna 2 weeks ago

Hi Elizabeth, I found this essay super interesting,and I completely agree with your statements. I think nowadays homework is just assigned because it “should” be, not to benefit us as learners. I learn much better if I am in class and able to go up to the teacher or ask a friend for help in that moment. If I am at home and cannot have access to a teacher to help me, I either leave it, or try my best. But if my best isn’t correct, then I have practiced a ton a math problems the wrong way, or answered a list of questions wrong and that is absolutely not benefiting me.