Chaos, screaming, bodies on the ground. This is the scene of Las Vegas shooting as hundreds of everyday people were mowed down at an innocent music festival. Sadly this isn’t the only mass shooting the US has suffered. In America we have one of the worst reputations with guns. Backed by facts found in studies, America is a nation that despite all the problems we can see with guns we’ve done little to no change in laws. We can see from all the carelessness in gun control it is causing more harm and fear in our society.

An outdated amendment is one reason why gun control has been so lenient. The second Amendment is defined as “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” (U.S. Const. Am. 2). This isn’t as applicable today. This has not been updated from when it was first instated back in 1791 and when it was revised in 1992. Things are much different today. We have no need for so much firepower in the hands of our citizens. We can especially see this when people are able to buy semi automatic guns without a intensive background check, then they are able to shoot up a supposedly safe place. What does this do? Creates fear that anyone can just have a high powered gun on them and not be questioned. We see this from the Las Vegas shooting. The shooter mowed down hundred of people at a music festival and it is reported that “Paddock checked into the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on Sept. 28 with 10 bags and at least 23 guns, including high-power rifles” (Windsor, Jacobo, and Margolin para 16). How is it one man can just come into a hotel with way too many bags for a single person and not be questioned. He intended to cause fear and destruction and that by letting him have the power to purchase all the guns we can see that gun control is too lax.

In the government we see that those who are conservatives and liberals are so at odds with each other they are almost negligent on the real issues guns are really causing. People are dying in this great nation yet all that is being considered is the views of the politicians is what they want. What of the hundreds of victims who were either killed or injured? We can see from shootings at Columbine High School that happened in 1999 where 13 were killed, to the continuous massacres that occur, such as at Sandy Hook Elementary where 26 were killed, and more recently the shooting in Texas where at least 26 were killed. The first two have all come and gone yet have we seen any real change in control that would help protect the people? Texas is a good showing that things haven’t really changed. Even the courts are way more focused on getting rid of stricter gun laws or making them broader to allow more leeway than actually making new ones. We can see this from when “The president is filling out the ranks of the lower courts with pro-gun-rights judges” (Zurcher para 29). If we can’t even look at our courts and expect to be protected from gun violence our state of security and society is harmed. Would you feel safe knowing most anyone is allowed a gun or can get access to a gun? We could also see the neglect from our government stated when “the U.S. government for what seems like the plain negligence, or worse, of whoever failed to enter Texas shooter Devin Patrick Kelley’s name into the federal crime database—a listing that would have made him ineligible to buy a gun” (Culhane para 4). That was just plain careless and led to a very devastating event that many people were victims of.

All in all people can try to argue that our gun control laws and how we handle them are fine but in reality because the US is so careless with them we can see that people are being continuously hurt and fear is growing. America has had some of the worst mass shootings ever. They have been slightly stretched out in time but really that we continue to see it is what leaves a bitter taste in our mouths. With little work being done for tighter gun control we can see that people are afraid. Maybe they’re asking themselves the next time they go on an innocent outing “Could it happen here? What if I’m next?” That is no way to live.

Work Cited

Culhane, John. “The Texas Shooting Victims Should Sue the U.S. Government. They’d

Win.”POLITICO Magazine, 8 Nov. 2017, www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/why-texas-shooting-victims-should-sue-government-215801.

History.com Staff. “Columbine High School Shootings.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 2009,

www.history.com/topics/columbine-high-school-shootings.

Madison, James, Constitution of United States. 1820

News, CBS. “Texas Church Shooting: Latest Investigation Developments — Live Updates.”CBS

News, CBS Interactive, 6 Nov. 2017,

www.cbsnews.com/live-news/texas-church-shooting-sutherland-springs-devin-patrick-kelley-live-updates/.

“Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting: What Happened?” CNN, Cable News Network,

www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/12/us/sandy-hook-timeline/index.html.

Winsor, Morgan, et al. “Las Vegas Shooter Booked Hotel Overlooking Lollapalooza, Seen with

Mystery Woman.” ABC News, ABC News Network, 5 Oct. 2017, 12:55 pm,

abcnews.go.com/US/las-vegas-shooter-booked-hotel-overlooking-lollapalooza-visited/story?id=50273390.

Zurcher, Anthony. “Las Vegas Shooting: Five Reasons US Gun Control Won’t Happen.” BBC News,

BBC, 4 Oct. 2017, www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41489552.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Guns Out of Control by Sara is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Drew 2 weeks ago

Sara, I think you did a great job stating your argument and claims. But, I do have to disagree that more gun control is the answer. I personally believe that if someone really wants a gun than they will do whatever they ant to get it. In short I think that people themselves are the problem not the guns.

2. Tyler 2 weeks ago

I disagree with your stance on gun control. As tragic as mass shootings are it is important to know that gun control laws only effect law abiding citizens. Those who obtain illegal guns with the intent to do harm, such as the Texas church shooter, will not be stopped by gun control laws. Gun control does nothing to stop criminals from causing harm. Prohibiting law abiding citizens from purchasing and using guns would only cause more harm by infringing on their to right self defense. Although it may not seem like a problem now, it is the right of the people to overthrow the government if need be. Taking away guns would give the government too much control and take power away from the people.

3. Elizabeth 2 weeks ago

Hi Sara,

I liked how you started your essay by setting the scene. You provided an image for your readers to be able to relate to, which was very helpful in proving your side of the argument by using pathos. I liked the outside references to stories about gun violence that many of your audience members knew and could relate to. You had great claims and evidence. I believe that a person reading this could be convinced that we should have control over guns.

Great job!

4. Nick 2 weeks ago

Sara, I disagree that more gun control is the answer. Criminals and mass murderers will always have guns. By implementing new laws that would prohibit or slow the process of buying guns, the laws would only prevent law abiding citizens who want guns for recreational, hunting, or safety purposes. Also, in the case of many mass shootings, more security would have stopped these atrocities, not more gun laws.

5. Emily 2 weeks ago

Sara,
    This is very well written and I appreciate you shedding a light on this important topic. I like that you bring up the second amendment and how it has not been updated for modern times. Our world is very different than it was when it was added to the constitution and should definitely be updated. I agree that the two political parties should come together to make a compromise on gun control, we have had far too many massacres and you’re correct in saying we have not seen any significant change in our country. It is sad and needs to be changed.

6. Brandon 2 weeks ago

Hi Sara,
    I disagree that more gun control is the answer. I personally believe that the hotel that the Las Vegas shooter was staying at should have had better security. I also believe that schools should have staff who are armed to help prevent mass school shootings. I’m also confused what you’re proposing here, do you feel we just need more gun control or that all citizens should be completely unarmed?

7. Kevin 2 weeks ago

Hi Sara,

Your post did a good job of highlighting the inherent problem with passing gun control laws that could save hundreds of thousands of lives: the Second Amendment. With ownership of guns protect by the Constitution, the supreme law of the land, it is literally impossible to pass any amount of legislation, especially with Congress controlled by stalwart conservatives. The NRA also does a sickeningly good job of twisting the narrative, making gun owners the victims. They have polarized gun politics so effectively that even the mention of small restrictions, like background checks, would have both Internet trolls and Republicans frothing from the mouth. The sad thing is that we as a nation have become so used to these horrific events that they no longer register on an emotional level. The Texas Church Shooting was just another mass shooting in the awfully violent year 2017, I barely felt anything apart from the thought: “Oh, this was happening again”. We have a long way to go in our nation’s quest for peace, and the first step is to realize that guns are not the tool of peace.

Thanks for the Post!
    Good Job!

8. Carelis 2 weeks ago

Sara, I like how you used past and present shooting to show how this is still a problem and that not much has truly been done. I feel that America does need stronger gun control. I enjoyed how you brought up that the amendment is old and not really applicable to how the world is now, I use that argument often. I think it’s crazy how our President is putting pro-gun judges STILL after all of the horrible things that have happened lately. I definitely think something has to change.

9. Hunter 2 weeks ago

Hi Sara –
    This is a very well written piece, and it highlights very well the problem with our legislative body, particularly in its inability to to just that: legislate. We are at such a roadblock because of the polarization of politics, that people will literally vote on someone purely because they don’t want to vote for another person. This vote may actually be for naught, since the person for which they are voting may hold none of the same views as the person voting, but they do it on principle of hatred for another person, for a name. It’s frustrating. I like how well you highlight just how ridiculous some of the shootings in the past have been. Even more frustratingly, whenever these tragedies happen, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle say things like “this isn’t the time to talk about gun laws, this is the time to grieve”. Of course, this IS the time to talk about gun laws, because with stricter ones, this stuff may not happen! I’ve always considered the second amendment argument “being necessary to the security of a free State” funny, because as many people love to say on the left side, it was created when guns had one shot and took minutes to reload. Nowadays, we can’t protect ourselves from a tyrannical government with an AR-15, because they have drones with which they can wipe out cities.
    One thing that you should definitely consider if you want to revise this piece is the number of gun suicides in the United States. If you think terrorism is bad, check out the Fivethirtyeight project detailing gun deaths between 2012 and 2014.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/
    Thanks for the post!