A pressing question on many people’s minds is the date on which the world will cease to exist. There have been many conspiracies and hypotheses on this topic, yet it seems as though no one can agree on a particular time. The mixing of religion and science simply do not work with this topic, and therefore it is highly controversial in its nature. So, I decided to do some research on the topic to figure out the general consensus of both sides.

I found an article concerning this topic from the perspective of Steven Hawking, who says that mankind has about 100 years to leave planet Earth before mankind will go extinct. Though this article focuses more on the extinction of the human race, I feel as though it is applicable to this question. With increasing climate change, overdue asteroid strikes, and a major spike in population growth, our planet only grows more and more dangerous to live on. If we want to increase our chances of continuing our species, we will have to find a way to repopulate on another planet, as Earth can only sustain us for so long. And at the rate that we are continuing, we probably do not have much longer.

On the other side of the spectrum, I found another article concerning the Christian view of how the end of the world will be. And although there are no concrete facts to back up any of these claims, it seems that a great deal of people have put their faith into them. It says that the date of the end of the world is unknown, and that God is the only one who is to know said date. The actual event in and of itself will consist of a grand battle between God and Satan, and that those who do not end up in heaven will remain on Earth during the battle. And afterwards, in the event that Satan does not triumph over God, the Earth will be restored, and the righteous will rule over it.

Both of these perspectives are for a large part speculation, but the first most certainly does bring up some further questions. With the rate that we are going in terms of consumption of resources and pollution of the atmosphere, it does not seems as if humankind is long for this world. And though the exact date of extinction is not known, it certainly is not far off.

CC BY-SA 4.0 When and how will the world end? by Billy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chloe 2 weeks ago

Billy,
    Your topic is very interesting, I never would have thought to research it. I really liked how you pursued both a scientific and religious perspective. Personally, I believe that there is a point where the Earth can no longer support human consumption. What is your stance? When do you think the world will end?

2. Maxwell 2 weeks ago

Billy my boy! I really liked your topic and this is a question that has interested my ever since I was little. I have found that there have been many predictions for the apocalypse that have not come true such as the famous one that was predicted in 2012. I personally believe that humans can not accurately predict the exact date this will happen, but I do agree with you that with our rates of consumption and pollution, it could be closer than we think. This article with a list of predicted dates was very interesting to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events