Two weeks ago, in Cliffside Park High School in N.J., the English teacher said to two students when they spoke Spanish at the Algebra class: “American soldiers are not fighting for your right to speak Spanish—- they’re fighting for your right to speak American.” The student left the class and pulled the key for the fire and the most of the student in the school go out. They responded in this way because American is not a language (English is), and besides, there is no official language in the U.S. A students took a video of the incident and posted it on Snapchat, where NBC news found it.

Parents said that teacher did not respect the school. The student she posted to the Snapchat “my daughter has never been involved in any kind of trouble. It’s a very situation.” This show students do a right thing that they go out from the class that not respectful to my language or my country.

In my opinion, teachers have to be respectful to students. The way I see it, in the teacher in the video said it and did not hide, but the student they have power more than the teacher. This shows the student they know more than the teacher about this country(United State). I imagine this the student they are like the child in custody because the school and the teacher are the start their way to the future and realize their dreams. In my experience to the school in the U.S. I feel everyone equal by the religion, color, language, if we do not know the value of life, we will not find a way to succeed.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Speak “American” by Ishak is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Maxwell 2 weeks ago

Ishak, I am also very angered by this teachers comments. I believe a diversity in languages could rather improve how America functions rather than act as a barrier. I believe this gives everyone an opportunity to step outside and learn a new language. I do not believe English should be the only spoken language in the United States at all. I think Americans need to celebrate and take pride in the level of diversity this country has to offer. I agree very much with your stance, and I hope this gave you some insight on your topic. Good job!

2. Ricardo 2 weeks ago

Dear Ishak,

I am disgusted by the teacher from Cliffside Park High School, because she was trying to make a point about our country, yet she doesn’t know “American” isn’t a language, I personally speak spanish, it’s my first language and if a teacher told me that stuff, I would get even more mad at the teacher, as we have an amendment called Freedom of Speech, where we can speak or say mostly anything we want.

Thanks for sharing your post. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you’re writing stuff that I can relate to, and that i enjoy, hopefully your next post is even better than this one as you are a great writer.

Regards,
    Ricardo M.