Dear Next President,

I am Roosevelt Powell III of Flint Michigan, and I strongly suggest that gun laws need to be more strict with every citizen that purchases them. Though everyone has the right to bare arms. This right is protected by the constitution. Guns aren’t a bad thing, but the person using the gun  can do more harm than good. This letter will mainly revolve around the Las vegas shooting that took place October 1, 2017 at the route 91 harvest music festival. 58 people were dead and over 546 people were injured or hospitalized. The gunman was 64 year old Stephen Paddock. He  started firing at a crowd of 22,000 people from the 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay resort. The shooting last for at least 15 minutes. 23 firearms, and thousands of rounds of ammunition were found in his hotel room.

Paddock had guns like AR-15-style and AK-47-type rifles. These rifles are Military firearms. The majority of the guns that Paddock used in the shooting  were purchased from “The Sportsman Warehouse” a local gun store in Nevada Las vegas. This means anyone, Just like Stephen Paddock, can legally buy Military level ammunition with standard gun laws.  Paddock who was described by his family as an “average guy” has proven that citizens should not be able to buy firearms they aren’t qualified to obtain.The guns that Paddock possessed are protected by the rights to bare arms “the second amendment”. This tragedy shouldn’t of happened, but it can happened again because the second amendment allows it. Am I saying change the constitution? No, but we can change the standard gun laws. American concealed Gun laws usually have questions that ask: I certify that i have never been convicted of a felony, I certify that i have not been deemed mentally ill by the court of law , or I certify that am at least 21. These questions are important and every citizen that wants to obtain an american gun permit should qualify to these terms, but that shouldn’t end the list of qualifications.

After they legally have a permit for gun use, another permit should be filled to verify if your qualified to obtain a specific gun, for example: if you are going to buy a AR or M4 military gun, you should have military training, served in a branch of the military, or you’re an officers of the law. For regular non-automatic handguns like shotguns, pistols and hunting guns, should be permitted only for specific reasons. If said reasons aren’t aligned with the purpose of buying the gun, than the gun should not be permitted to you. Proper gun usage is important. There should be a limit of guns that you can have, even if you certify for specific guns. We don’t limit the amount of guns that a single citizen can have, than a shooting like Las vegas will happen. Guns can be used to protect yourself and your family or can be used as weapons to harm innocent people. Guns can be used to end someone’s life, so it’s  important that we use them properly. What’s more important than the gun is the person behind it. If some has a gun without the right qualifications than innocent people are at a high risk of losing their lives.That is a risk that any congressman should not be willing to take while passing regular gun laws.

As the president of the united stated u have the power to change that. As our commander and cheif you can apply more efficient gun laws that will make our country safe again, because one innocent life lost because of lazy gun laws is too many to count.

Sincerely, Roosevelt Powell III 

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letters to the next president by Roosevelt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jessyca 2 weeks ago

Trey, this post is more powerful than the last. I can see your point of view more. I enjoyed reading this post and the points you brought up. I agree that this is a serious issue and wonder how we can come to an agreement on dealing with the deaths our country have been experiencing. Good work!