In my opinion, this teacher should not  say anything about speaking another language because “the soldiers are fighting for our rights” everyone have the right to speak any language. This country does not have an official  language. The way I see it, is that this country is for everyone, those who come here as immigrants or those who were born here. This counrty is for everyone, so I don’t understand why people have to be like that, and think that this country is for them and that it’s not  for anyone else. In my experience, this happened a lot of times with people that weren’t here for a long times. There was a time in my life when I experienced injustice. This was the time when I was going to school with my sister, my brother, and my two cousins. We were going to the train and there was a lady on the train when we got on.  She was recording us on her phone and saying the B word we didn’t know that she was talking to us. When we got on the train, she started talking about how we were terrorists and that we don’t like black people, and that we killed black people. Luckily, there was a boy who knew my sister and my cousin, he had the same classes as them. I remember when he told her that we were not terrorists, and we didn’t killed anyone, and that he knew us, we were his friends. Also, I remember when she told him that he’s black too and that he should be with her instead of being with us.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Speak “American” by Sundus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Sophia 3 weeks ago

Sundus,
    I totally agree with you when you say that America should be equal for all. The freedom to have your own culture, express yourself in your own way, and speak whatever language you want is in the Constitution. Since American soldiers fight for America and its Constitution, they are in essence fighting for our right to speak whatever language we want, not just “American.” I believed that you exemplified that point when talking about the wrongs of this teacher’s actions, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Thank you for your post and I look forward to your future work.

2. Lillie 4 weeks ago

Sundus, I strongly agree with your opinion and can not imagine how scaring this experience could have been for you and your family on the train. American started out with Native Americans and turned into a melting pot country where people from around the world come to for the opportunities we offer. I believe we welcome everyone here and not turn away, but your heartbreaking story tells me otherwise.