Dear president,

My name is Alazia wilson and i am a senior at Carman-Ainsworth High School,MI. One of the most pressing issues in the united states right now is juvenile incarceration.There are many flaws in the juvenile system such as, putting kids in juve because they have behavior issues or they tried to run away from home.

This affects me and the kids that are incarcerated because their are a numerous of youth that are nonviolent who haven’t received the proper education, so when they are released they wouldn’t have the acquired skills to function, because they spent almost their whole life in a cell. They should get the proper education, so when they go to school they wouldn’t have such a hard time and they won’t be so behind of their classes.

We should provide the youth with behavior counseling instead of throwing them in a cell for some years because of that. kids who are under 18 and are in there whole life because they have a behavior issue and that’s not okay because kids who are younger than 18 are in an unsafe environment.

The president should consider on making better choices when dealing with the youth that are incarcerated, such as giving them better education and better food choices for them such as healthy foods so they won’t get sick. And have kids that have behavior issues to go to a detention centers, encourage kids to make a better life for themselves. They should be provided with a safe and clean place to think and learn.

Alazia wilson

Photo by DonkeyHotey

CC BY-SA 4.0 Juvenile Incarceration? by alazia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zaire 4 weeks ago

I agree with your post because yes they deserve to have a better education and yes counseling is a kinder way to get through to kids instead of brute force, but that doesn’t means that their shouldn’t be a punishment for their actions. Overall your post was really good.

2. Abel 4 weeks ago

i agree with this post because there are kids that have no one that have been in and out of the system and trust nobody. Instead of throwing kids away we should come up with a way where they have a way to put there life on track.

3. Alyssandra 4 weeks ago

I totally agree with your post, the kids in juvenile should at least be able to get an education during their youth time to be able to learn and to be able to gain the proper discipline to act around people in public places without doing bad things or starting fights and things like that.

4. Taylor 4 weeks ago

Alazia,
    I agree with most all you had to say, especially were you mentioned how “We should provide the youth with behavior counseling instead of throwing them in a cell for some years”. Younger kids who are just neglected and thrown in jail for acting out will end up with serious issues which is why they should get counseling so they can grow to be something better in life. although, when you said “such as giving them better education and better food choices for them such as healthy foods so they won’t get sick.” I slightly don’t agree, they shouldn’t be rewarded with healthy foods for finally not acting out .
    Thanks for the post!
    -Taylor

5. hump1652 4 weeks ago

I disagree with you because if they did something to be put in their then they deserve to be in there. They should think before they act but as for kids that run away from home they should have another solution for that.I do agree with what you said when you said we should provide the youth with behavior counseling but they should get that while they are in juve.

6. Sam 4 weeks ago

Alazia,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. One part that really stood out to me was when you said that “we should provide the youth with behavior counseling instead of throwing them in a cell for some years.” I agreed with most of your initial points but I don’t agree with your main argument where you take about how giving them nicer accommodations and healthier food would help reform them. I disagree with that statement because to me it seems like that is rewarding juveniles for their bad behavior and if you really want to reform them you have to punish them for their wrongdoings not reward them. I would also disagree with the statement that people under 18 sent to juvenile detention centers are in unsafe environments. It has been proven over and over that detention centers are kept in very good conditions to provide the best possible chance for rehabilitation for juveniles. I think that it would be helpful for you to read this article. Thanks for posting.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e05a/ae1893242305fb7eedf2dceb158b7f435911.pdf

-Sam