Gregory Gunn, Samuel DuBose, Brendon Glenn, Freddie Gray, Walter Scott, Michael Brown Jr., Eric Garner, Tamir Rice all unarmed victims who have died at the hands of a police officer. In The Hate U Give, it was a boy named Khalil. He died when a white police officer shot him during a traffic stop while he and Starr were driving away from a party that had been shot up by a gang.

In America, a black person is three times more likely to be killed by police than a white person. The officers are not being held accountable, in 2015, 99% of officers have not been convicted of a crime. Police are 33% less likely to be convicted of a crime as opposed to a regular citizen, and the conviction rate for cops that commit murder is only 35% percent. In 2016, 169 unarmed civilians were killed by officers and only 16 faced charges. Even when a cop is charged with a crime, they are rarely convicted by the judge and jury.

A survey taken in September of 2016 showed that 81 percent of white people have confidence in their local police department, 75 percent believe officers use the appropriate amount of force, and another 75 percent believe all races and ethnicities are treated equally. An Associated Press-University poll found that a majority of white people believe the justice system treats black people fairly and cops too harshly. The people that took place in these surveys, they are the people on the juries, the judges, lawyers, prosecutors who fail the justice system, believe cops are good-hearted, unbiased, and don’t care about the color of people’s skin (The Root)

In The Hate U Give, it gives the ugly reality of living as a minority in America and how the way of life across America is very difficult. Values of Americans differ greatly from groups of people. The Hate U Give addresses many of the major differences culturally, physically, and mentally that black people go through.

Harriot, Michael. “White Men Can’t Murder: Why White Cops Are Immune to the Law.” The Root, Www.theroot.com, 22 June 2017,

www.theroot.com/white-men-cant-murder-why-white-cops-are-immune-to-the-1796309966.

Morrison, Aaron. “14 Recent Police Brutality Cases That Show How Often Officers Aren’t Held

Accountable.” Mic. Mic Network Inc., 15 Sept. 2017. Web.

“Police Have Killed 964 People in the U.S. This Year.” Mapping Police Violence. N.p., n.d. Web.

Susman, Daniel Funke and Tina. “From Ferguson to Baton Rouge: Deaths of Black Men and

Women at the Hands of Police.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 12 July 2016,

www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-police-deaths-20160707-snap-htmlstory.html#2016.

Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give. N.p.: Walker, 2017. Print.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Answering Essential Questions by lillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Zaire 4 weeks ago

I’m so glad that you posted this because it’s important to talk about these things that people just want to ignore and I like that you included data to go along with everything that you were saying.

2. Heather 4 weeks ago

Lillian, I really like the statistics you added to the paper. They add support to the article but I would like to know where you got them. I am so interested in this book and hopefully can find time to read it.

3. Will Jones 4 weeks ago

Lillian, I enjoyed reading your piece on The Hate U Give, I have not read the book and I am now interested in reading after reading your article. I do have a few questions for you, you wrote “The officers are not being held accountable, in 2015, 99% of officers have not been convicted of a crime.” Where did you get this information from you need in text citations to backup your data? If it is indeed true, wouldn’t this be something we would want in our police officers? I know I personally would not want a convicted felon acting as a police officer where I live. Continuing on, you write “Police are 33% less likely to be convicted of a crime as opposed to a regular citizen.” Wouldn’t this make sense because police officers supposed to be upstanding citizens and if they accused of a crime wouldn’t the odds of them being convicted would be less?
    The last thing I saw that confused me was “the conviction rate for cops that commit murder is only 35% percent.” I think you need to change your word choice of murder. If a cop takes a life in self defense that is not murder, that is self defense. Also, police officers, as people who work in a job that require self defense in certain situations it would make sense that the percentage of police officers who have taken someone’s life and put on trial would be quite a bit higher than the average citizen. Overall, I enjoyed your piece!