Gregory Gunn, Samuel DuBose, Brendon Glenn, Freddie Gray, Walter Scott, Michael Brown Jr., Eric Garner, Tamir Rice all unarmed victims who have died at the hands of a police officer. In The Hate U Give, it was a boy named Khalil. He died when a white police officer shot him during a traffic stop while he and Starr were driving away from a party that had been shot up by a gang.

In America, a black person is three times more likely to be killed by police than a white person. The officers are not being held accountable, in 2015, 99% of officers have not been convicted of a crime. Police are 33% less likely to be convicted of a crime as opposed to a regular citizen, and the conviction rate for cops that commit murder is only 35% percent. In 2016, 169 unarmed civilians were killed by officers and only 16 faced charges. Even when a cop is charged with a crime, they are rarely convicted by the judge and jury.

A survey taken in September of 2016 showed that 81 percent of white people have confidence in their local police department, 75 percent believe officers use the appropriate amount of force, and another 75 percent believe all races and ethnicities are treated equally. An Associated Press-University poll found that a majority of white people believe the justice system treats black people fairly and cops too harshly. The people that took place in these surveys, they are the people on the juries, the judges, lawyers, prosecutors who fail the justice system, believe cops are good-hearted, unbiased, and don’t care about the color of people’s skin (The Root)

In The Hate U Give, it gives the ugly reality of living as a minority in America and how the way of life across America is very difficult. Values of Americans differ greatly from groups of people. The Hate U Give addresses many of the major differences culturally, physically, and mentally that black people go through.

Harriot, Michael. “White Men Can’t Murder: Why White Cops Are Immune to the Law.” The Root, Www.theroot.com, 22 June 2017,

www.theroot.com/white-men-cant-murder-why-white-cops-are-immune-to-the-1796309966.

Morrison, Aaron. “14 Recent Police Brutality Cases That Show How Often Officers Aren’t Held

Accountable.” Mic. Mic Network Inc., 15 Sept. 2017. Web.

“Police Have Killed 964 People in the U.S. This Year.” Mapping Police Violence. N.p., n.d. Web.

Susman, Daniel Funke and Tina. “From Ferguson to Baton Rouge: Deaths of Black Men and

Women at the Hands of Police.” Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times, 12 July 2016,

www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-police-deaths-20160707-snap-htmlstory.html#2016.

Thomas, Angie. The Hate U Give. N.p.: Walker, 2017. Print.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Answering Essential Questions by lillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Vegito 1 month ago

this book reminds me of some game

2. Justin Rivera 1 month ago

the paragraph is good but the life its unfair

3. Ethan 1 month ago

As a young adult in Philadelphia I have heard a ton of “fireworks” in the middle of the day. I am human who doesn’t see skin color. All my friends /family are just as they are. I do not care nor do I see a reason to acknowledge your skin color. Cops train, go to school and get a great job just to kill a citizen. Is it okay knowing they almost never get consequences. Maybe cause they were just doing their job a bit more extremely. “The hate you give” portrays the vision of the minorities. I think that is perfect considering if it was from the view of Hailey i’d definitely be uninterested.

4. Quenshawn Jones 1 month ago

im glad that they told everything that happen but this part ( Police are 33% less likely to be convicted of a crime as opposed to a regular citizen) really stood out to me because that little bit of percent of cops get away with killing people

5. Nikia frazier 1 month ago

i really like the book because it talks about things that really goes on in life . Thats also about police officers some really have something against us blacks and some really don’t care if we are black or white they treat us the same .

6. Lataya 1 month ago

I Like She Explain The Young Boy To African American And Gave Him A Description about the boy and how he wrote his example of the book and what was he doing in the book

7. Quis 1 month ago

I enjoyed the fact that she gave real statics and she understands the struggle that black people go through. How can we feel safe in our community if the cops are legally armed and cant even call them for help because we feel as if their against us.

• Quis 1 month ago

*statistics

8. enaje 1 month ago

i like the fact that you posted this. i found the statistics to be very informing.

9. renea 1 month ago

i liked the way you talked about the police officer its kinda like similiar to whats happening in the hate u give .

10. Muk 1 month ago

I like how It tell us how that the police officer were not held accountable in 2015 , What happened to kahlil that really why I understand & like the book .

11. .......... 1 month ago

Lillian,

I enjoyed reading your piece on The Hate U Give.The comment you gave on “The Hate U Give” shows how the book and today’s life really are similar to each other. I really like the book “THE HATE U GIVE” and ready to continue the book.

12. luis 1 month ago

i think the hate you give is strong book and talks about the streets and also like the book because it is a real book that talks about the true of the streets and what has been going on wit cops killing people for no reason.

13. Nazirh 1 month ago

Lillian,i like how you really sat there and took your time and talked about the truth, and i like your statistics that you added. and another reason why i like this because now days people don’t talk about the things you just said.

14. RGZZZZ 1 month ago

Thank you for posting this because this tides back too black lives matter and its explains so much more you take in then hope i get to complete the book some day

15. cash 1 month ago

police suck

16. Bree 1 month ago

Lillian, I like that you included some of the victims and statistics to pull this piece together to backup your statements.

17. A'nyah Roundtree 1 month ago

I’m so glad that you posted this because it’s important to talk about these things that people just want to ignore and people should know what’s happening but i think they stay having racism till this day.

18. Rashaad 1 month ago

lillan the hate u give is a very good book and i really enjoyed this piece of it

19. McKayla 1 month ago

Lillian, I really respected the fact that you lead your voice to be loudly yet calmly heard. Most others antagonize this situation but you just explained and were heard. I completely 100% agree with this as well.

20. Kat Geiger 1 month ago

After reading the book and this article I think they diverse they show all slide of the story. They show you the after math of what happens when someone black is killed by police. This book is something that little black boys and girls should read to show them there are more people out there like them that goes thought these challenges

21. zahaad 1 month ago

Lillian,

I enjoyed reading your piece on The Hate U Give.The comment you gave on “The Hate U Give” shows how the book and today’s life really are similar to each other. And the book also is similar to a new tv show called “The Chi”. They both are two real good story’s.

22. Miyuni 1 month ago

I really love this novel because Star really describes me .

23. Naynay 1 month ago

Lillian, I really like the statistics you added to the paper. They add support to the article but I would like to know where you got them. I am so interested in this book and hopefully can find time to read it.

24. Nicole 1 month ago

lillian,

I am very happy you had statistics, it shows you really want people to take you seriously, and it is really upsetting how the justice system is in this country

25. Alexus 1 month ago

Lillian,
    i absolutely agree with what you wrote there are too many innocent black victims that get killed and their killers get to walk away free with no conviction or any type of punishment the family of these victims never get justice for their loved ones. when the roles are reversed and a white person gets killed they immdiately go to a black person .
    in some cases black people are wrongfully convicted of crimes they didn’t do. the white youth today has to realize being black isn’t cool and it’s a constant struggle to be treated fairly.

26. Reed 2 months ago

lillian,

Thanks for sharing your contribution and perspectives. My students at the U School, have read Angie’s Thomas poignant story. I am hoping they will share some of equally compelling reflections from their reading and making sense of this Black Live Matters meets Inner City Blues saga. Keep writing!

27. Zaire 4 months ago

I’m so glad that you posted this because it’s important to talk about these things that people just want to ignore and I like that you included data to go along with everything that you were saying.

28. Heather 4 months ago

29. Will Jones 4 months ago

Lillian, I enjoyed reading your piece on The Hate U Give, I have not read the book and I am now interested in reading after reading your article. I do have a few questions for you, you wrote “The officers are not being held accountable, in 2015, 99% of officers have not been convicted of a crime.” Where did you get this information from you need in text citations to backup your data? If it is indeed true, wouldn’t this be something we would want in our police officers? I know I personally would not want a convicted felon acting as a police officer where I live. Continuing on, you write “Police are 33% less likely to be convicted of a crime as opposed to a regular citizen.” Wouldn’t this make sense because police officers supposed to be upstanding citizens and if they accused of a crime wouldn’t the odds of them being convicted would be less?
    The last thing I saw that confused me was “the conviction rate for cops that commit murder is only 35% percent.” I think you need to change your word choice of murder. If a cop takes a life in self defense that is not murder, that is self defense. Also, police officers, as people who work in a job that require self defense in certain situations it would make sense that the percentage of police officers who have taken someone’s life and put on trial would be quite a bit higher than the average citizen. Overall, I enjoyed your piece!