Gabriel Cooper

American LIt

Mrs. Reed

Throughout the extensive reading of my book, I noticed two big underlying themes. These two themes included a common love in books, and a common loneliness in the characters. This was very apparent from the start and end of my chosen book. By the end, I had realized that these two things had a lot more to do with American creed that I had first thought. I believe that what brings us together is our common interests in life. We as Americans have been figuratively been put on a team, as explained in the American Creed documentary. The one thing that will always bring us together are common goals

The American Creed is a statement of the defining element of American identity”(Huntington). I believe this is the most holistic definition of our american creed, But what does it even mean? I think someone who had never heard of the country would have no clue what it actually stands for. In order to understand American creed we must first understand what it means to be an american. A very basic statement on this topic could be why people even immigrated here in the first place, for freedom, equality, and liberty. But it has become so much more, even during the creation of our constitution is was stated to “establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”(Preamble). Strongly believe in the correlation of the complexity of our creed and the longer our country is around. As the United States grows, there is more to take into account on the idea of our ‘creed’.

As we know, what It means to be an American seems to change in accordance to time and current events. I think during the second world war, to be an American was described as “Communities conducted scrap metal drives. To help build the armaments necessary to win the war, women found employment as electricians, welders and riveters in defense plants.” So at the time to be an American as a male you needed to join the army and women had to take over the jobs needed to run the country. So how has that changed today? Well the debate is over if Illegal immigrants are actually Americans. I mean they are here for the same reason as everybody else, for the dream.  “We are Americans,” the headline declared. “Just not legally”(vargas). Now we know they believe they are Americans, how should they be treated? I believe that a process of citizenship would be the best path as we are still a country of laws. Overall I don’t think that whether you believe they should be here or not is a question of your american creed but more of your politics. I don’t think it is right to make a political issue a question of American creed.

In conclusion, what it means to be an American has always changed in relation to time. The phrase has been used to help bring us together, but also to pull us apart. Like in The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, I believe that passion for certain interests brings us together and allows us to work as one great nation. So my answer of what it means to be an American would be to become the best version of ourselves and others. I believe our creed is to help our fellow citizens do the best they can and achieve anything they want.

Huntington, Samuel (2004). Who are we?: The challenges to America’s national identity. Simon & Schuster. p. Xv

Vargas, Jose Antonio. “What Does It Mean to Be an American?” Huffington Post, Huffpost, 4 July 2012, www.huffingtonpost.com/jose-antonio-vargas/jose-antonio-vargas-meaning-of-american_b_1647894.html.

History.com Staff. “The U.S. Home Front During World War II.” History.com, A&E Television Networks, 2010, www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/us-home-front-during-world-war-ii.

Zevin, Gabrielle. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. Turtleback Books, 2015.

United States Constitution- Preamble

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is American Creed? by Gabe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Fredrick 1 week ago

Dear Mrs.Reed,
    I found this post to be really interesting and enjoyable to read. You stated and defined the words that you wanted to present and also told us what they meant back then, I like and also agree to the fact that the definition of an American has changed over time and that we come together in times when we have a common goal. This is clearly represented during war time; World War II and I, we came together to help pay for the war and help our nation. I really liked this post and hope to see more about it