My name is Manuel Brito and I was born in the Dominican Republic. I am 18 years old. I had lived in the USA for 10 months. In school, my favorite subject is English Language Arts and when I am out of school, I like to watch movies and shows and then criticize them if they were “good” or “boring”.  I am particularly good at cooking. I became good at this because there was a period of my life where I lived alone so I had to cook by myself. In the future, I would like to become a Biomedical Engineer. I dream of making people happy and help them.

I immigrated to New York in January 2017. My life changed in many ways when I immigrated. The change I’m happiest about is how I opened my mind to a new world and learned a new language and get to know new cultures because a person is made of his/her knowledge and this is helping me in incredible ways. On the other hand, I am sad that I left my country and my mom and friends, however, I am always in contact with them. Now I speak Spanish and ENGLISH, which is AWESOME.

There was a time in my life when I experienced injustice. This was the time when I got to school. They told me to take Living Environment a class that I took in the Dominican Republic. I was telling them, “I don’t want to take that class” and they said: “You have to take it, so you can graduate.” Anyway,  I took the class even though my English wasn’t that good back then. The teacher never paid attention to me and I was always behind. By the end of the semester, I had to take the Regents Exams. I couldn’t take Living Environment Regents because she told me, “You don’t have labs enough to take them and you don’t have time to make them up.” I think that she concluded that I was unable to make them up because of my difficulties in the language. In my opinion, this was unjust because I was able to do my work like everyone else and she took away my opportunity to take the Regents Exams because she decided to limit my potential to learn.

CC BY-SA 4.0 People are made of their knowledge by Manuel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.