Immigration is a big part of America. America was made up of immigrants from all over, which is why we have things such as freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Accepting these freedoms are part of being American. The founders of America immigrated from England. America wanted people from other places to come to their lands. However, more recently, the American attitude seems to have shifted to not wanting more people to come, even if it would mean a better life for them and their families. Many people even discriminate against those who are able to come. As mentioned in the film due to come out in 2018, <em>American Creed</em>, talks about how people who are even descended from immigrants ridicule, disrespect, and sometimes reject newer immigrants. This is also shown in the graphic novel I read, <em>American Born Chinese</em>. The main character is often made fun of for his different looks and culture. He is also isolated because people assume stereotypes about where he is from are true. I personally have always found it odd that people do these things since America is made and was founded by immigrants. It is called the land of free, promises equality and a better life for all, yet can be unwelcoming at times. 

American Creed. Citizen Film and PBS. 2018.
“Declaration of Independance.” National Archive, U.S. Government, 4 July 1776. Accessed 27 Sept. 2017.
Yang, Gene. American Born Chinese. First Second New York and London, 2006

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigration by Jackie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.