We consider our dogs our best friend, or something we care about more than anything else. Some people care about their pets more than they care about their family. As the saying goes, “a dog is a man’s best friend”. If we love our pets so much, do we consider it a pet or a member of the family, maybe even your own child. Parents have to spend large sums of money throughout their life to pay for children to get their wheels spinning and making money of their own. For pets like dogs we pay and do everything for them for their entire life. Is it more beneficial to have a dog or a daughter?

The average cost to raise a child up until the age of 18 when they can start making their own money is a little over $300,000 according to The Huffington Post. It is also a lot of work to raise a child from age premature to eighteen. The cost of raising a large dog per year is a little over $3000 according to AKC. You can own more pets in your lifetime then children and still pay less. Dogs learn much faster than children do and so it is much easier to care for them and get them adjusted to a home then a child. Children take threes on average to say their first word but it takes about five minutes for a dog to bark that means it needs to use the restroom. The only downside of a dog is they do not speak. You can not ask dogs how their day has been you just receive their answer from the way the dog is acting.

Through the facts of Dogs or Humans it is much more beneficial to get a dog over a human, you can gain many different relationships from different types. It is very easy to take care of three dogs at once then to take care of three children that you can lose in a few minutes. Pets are also more cost efficient and save you much more money and time then a child does. So in the end it is much better to get a pet then to get a human.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Pets or People? by Oliver is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jade 10 months ago

Oliver, I really liked your post and how you related it back to real life stories, but when it comes down to it the cost of a pet and child wouldn’t or shouldn’t matter if they are considered a part of the family. A pet may cost less, but having a child isn’t dependent on the cost.

2. Malachi 10 months ago

i am satisfied how you put this together cause you put in the pros and cons in each way when it comes to the animal and human. one thing you said that stands out for me is “Through the facts of Dogs or Humans it is much more beneficial to get a dog over a human, you can gain many different relationships from different types.” this is intelligent because this is not a lie to be honest, people can’t deny.

3. Jennifer 10 months ago

I am interested with your post because I found it as something new, never have I read a post on whether getting a pet or a child is better. In a way both pets and children are a hassle especially when having a pet such as a dog and it being a puppy is somewhat the same as having a human baby both are complete headaches and although human babies are more expensive to maintain dogs have to be trained to be obedient.
    One thing you said that stood out for me is, “It is very easy to take care of three dogs at once then to take care of three children that you can lose in a few minutes.” because if you decide you don’t want to have kids for what ever reason that’s you but both animals and human children are difficult to care for, not everyone is perfect at first but you learn from what you do with your first kid or pet. I would say having kids is an amazing experience because you’re making a human being and that is a beautiful thing.

4. Dometrius 10 months ago

One thing you said that stood out to me is: “Through the facts of Dogs or Humans it is much more beneficial to get a dog over a human, you can gain many different relationships from different types.” I think this is very interesting because it’s literally stating that its better to have a dog than to have a child. This is very amusing to me. It costs less to raise a dog than to raise a human, but we still need humans for populating the earth.

5. lukas 10 months ago

Dear Oliver,
    I am satisfied with your post because I agree with you but not only that I find it funny how animals are cheaper that actual human babies. Also I love how you told the price differences between the two of them I was very shocked.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is “The average cost to raise a child up until the age of 18 when they can start making their own money is a little over $300,000 according to The Huffington Post. It is also a lot of work to raise a child from age premature to eighteen. The cost of raising a large dog per year is a little over $3000 according to AKC. ” I think this is very interesting to me because thats a big price difference between one another. I was just also shocked I didn’t think that the diffrence was that much.

Lukas

6. Angel Cano 10 months ago

Dear Oliver,
    I am interested with your post because I didn’t know whether to get a child or a dog first but judging by the fact that a child cost more so i decided to get a dog. My main concern was money since i rather have money than anything else because i want an expensive lifestyle and a child sounds like it would ruin my plan. One thing that stands out for me is “The average cost to raise a child up until the age of 18 when they can start making their own money is a little over $300,000 according to The Huffington Post. The cost of raising a large dog per year is a little over $3000 according to AKC.” because I thought having a large dog would cost more than only $3,000 per year. I always preferred a dog so this ensures me buying one in the future.

7. Emily 10 months ago

Dear Oliver,
    I am intrigued by your post because of the comparison you made between having a pet and a child. The comparison of cost I found intriguing but I do not know if many people will care about the cost of having a child of their own. One thing that you said that stood out to me is: “Through the facts of Dogs or Humans it is much more beneficial to get a dog over a human, you can gain many different relationships from different types.” because you had made a generalized statement about how people will prefer a dog over their own child. I do not believe that is not entirely true for everyone. There may be a few cases where someone would prefer a dog but it should not be generalized.
    Regards,
    Emily

8. Kyle 10 months ago

I am interested in your post because I could relate. I have a dog but the relationship is different than having a relationship with people. I feel like the relationship between kids and parents are more important than the relationship between pets and people. Dogs can’t communicate with people and it is important to be able to communicate with someone you care about. Also, dogs don’t show as much emotion as humans.

9. Samantha 10 months ago

Dear Oliver,
    I am intrigued by your post because what you said about pets being friends is true for a lot of people. I liked how you made a connection between dogs and children. I also liked how you talked about our relationship with our animals.

10. Hailey 10 months ago

Dear Oliver,

I am interested in your post because I belie pets can something be better than people, but I think having a child and mother bond is the best thing in the world. Having a child would be better than having a pet.
    What stood out to me was: "Through the facts of Dogs or Humans it is much more beneficial to get a dog over a human, you can gain many different relationships from different types. It is very easy to take care of three dogs at once then to take care of three children that you can lose in a few minutes." I think this is interesting because I believe that dogs are easier to take care of and are cheaper, but having a child is the best bond ever.

Thanks for sharing your post!!!
    Hailey

11. Anthony 10 months ago

Oliver I really liked your post and the deep thought provoking question “do we consider it a pet or a member of the family?” I can say that I very much value my dog and look at her as a member of my family. I found the quote “Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.(Genesis 1:26, NIV)” to be very important because the Bible assume that man’s likeness to God and animals’ subservience to man implies that animals may have the “breath of life,” nephesh chay in Hebrew, but not an immortal soul in the same sense as man’s. I do believe animals can be even more.