I have always been a private school kid, and I’ve always been told that because of it I’ll have a better shot in this life. I’m a Judge kid and because of that I’m supposed to have this greater shot of getting into college. I started to wonder, is that true? Do I really have all that bigger of a shot to get into college just because of the kind of schools I’ve always gone to? This has begun to interest me so much more.
The first thing I came to find started out with the common thought that all private school kids are rich and snobby. (I’m neither, but I can see how some may think that.) Then it shoots to how that isn’t always right. Yay, thanks. It goes into the costs of private schools, amenities, and curriculum. At the very end it does something really short on what I’m looking into. “It has been shown that college acceptance and college graduation rates are higher for private school graduates. But that doesn’t mean that every private school student who applies to college gets accepted. “ It just wasn’t enough. It didn’t brush enough upon what they said they were talking about. It talked about what goes into a private school more than anything.
Another I found goes into the story of 17 year old Jessica Assaf. She had perfect grades, and had always attended private school. She applied to Brown and didn’t get it. It also states that one of the elite private schools graduating class get into elite colleges. It also says “many private schools do have some advantages, such as better student-to-counselor ratios that allow them to put a greater emphasis on the college counseling process.” It also says “college admissions staffs ‘do a fantastic job scouring public schools for poor and middle-class students who distinguish themselves,”’.”There’s two sides to it, but I don’t feel like I’ve learned enough to really make a distinguished call on this. There’s not as many students in private schools as there are in public.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Private Advantage? by Whitlee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Caden 4 weeks ago

Dear Whitlee, I believe that you are sort of right, however a more effective strategy would be to research public school students and see their graduation and acceptance rates then compare the two. However I think that people that do go to private schools have a major advantage not only in college but more specifically in funding for their schools. Also private schools have stronger curriculum as opposed to public schools were they have less opportunities. I would be interested to see the research and contrast between these two systems and see if there really is an advantage.

2. Anthony 1 month ago

Hi Whitlee, I would agree with Lindsay and Issac on how they view the advantage of going to private school which has given me the idea that private schools offer a push and pull effect “nudge” – Issac, with private schools especially you should see students achieving higher because you yourself, parents, teachers and college advisors are putting time and sacrifice into a student attending a private school, which colleges look at did the student make the most out of the opportunity that was given to them. I think you also have to decide what level you are looking at this question for in-state schools or out of state schools, because just yesterday I was looking at a Private Jesuit High School in Indianapolis and their grading scale is insanely hard an A+ is a 98-100. Tougher colleges I assume look at the strength of the schedule the student had- meaning did they take AP Classes and what was their AP score. I will admit our school has been tough for me with the rigorous academic course but it has taught me how to work for good grades, take scary classes (risks), learn how to fail to better myself and improve on the next opportunity that arises to me (tests, quizzes, homework), and how to thrive with my classmates all while receiving a catholic education.

3. Isaac 1 month ago

Going to private school is a huge privilege, and the price tag reflects that. A school like Judge gives students a nudge above students who attend public school. But it is just this: a nudge. Hard work and natural ability are ultimately what decide academic success. I like how you brought this up, as there are plenty of amazing kids that go through the public school system. However, this is a good question to reflect on, so here is a link to help with further research. http://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/12/03/are-private-schools-really-better-than-public-schools/

4. Lindsay 1 month ago

This is a really important topic to look at, and as a fellow Judge Student, also have a lot of interest to see if our private education has helped us to get into schools. I have always though that we do have an advantage because we get much more help when it comes to college counselors. Some public schools also have help, but not all of them are sufficient to help students get into college. https://www.collegetransitions.com/blog/private-vs-public-hs/ Is an article that goes over the advantages to both private and public schools. Basically it says that private schools tend to be better, but public schools vary, some of them being great to help with college admissions, and others don’t provide the right guidance.

5. Colin 1 month ago

Whitlee, I also believe an advantage is given to students in private schools, but not only for the reasons mentioned by Drew. I also believe that the environment of a private school is more official like that of a college and prepares you better to attend a university. Colleges recognize that and realize that the students coming out of these schools already have experience at a school with this environment. With that said, I think it is very interesting when you mentioned the student that did not make it into Brown even though she had perfect grades. This is where I think private schools do lack a little. While they highly prepare a student for the academic side of things, both learning and environment, they do not seem to offer much opportunity for extracurriculars. This is huge in the eyes of colleges because it shows a student still stays involved in what he/she is passionate about. Without these opportunities and freedom however, a student will struggle to remain competitive when trying to get into a certain college, especially an Ivy League school such as Brown.

6. Drew 1 month ago

Whitlee, I do believe that you have some privileges/advantages over people that go to public school. But, I don’t think that it is anything to be ashamed of. There isn’t anything you can do about the fact that that is true. You can only focus on the things that high school kids focus on such as, grades, sports, family, and friends. It is also hard to say what should be done about this because, unlike public schools, private schools can chose their own curriculum. This in its own I believe gives a student a leg up because the school can specifically prepare you for universities, instead of on the public school system that prepares its students for the workforce.