You should be able to choose whether you want to stand, sit, or kneel for the National Anthem because not only is Freedom of speech in the constitution, but the right to peacefully protest is as well. Many will argue that it’s a form of disrespect  to those who have fought for our country but those people fought for everyone in the United States, not one race, culture, or religion. Henny Wise, a veteran posted a thread on twitter, in response to Donald Trump’s statement on the NFL players being fired, stating the flags code of conduct in detail with links to each section, ending the thread with “Not covered in the ‘Respect for Flag’ section; standing/kneeling/sitting. That’s considered a conduct violation, not disrespectful. Nothing in the Flag Code explicit states you have to stand, just that you ‘should.’ All the things I listed were outlined as disrespectful.” This is just one example of the many veterans who support the players decisions. Colin Kaepernick, the first player to sit for the national anthem causing this debate throughout the country, states “ I’m not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color, to me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the streets and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder” There is a bigger picture to all of this, It’s not about the flag, it’s not about being black or white, christian or muslim, or even gay and straight. It’s about being human, and treating everyone fairly, and understanding that we were all put on this earth for a reason and maybe that reason is to learn how to get along and find peace with ourselves and others. People argue that we are dividing our country by protesting, If anything we are bringing those who want change, and who support good causes together, we are finding a link between people who are ready for true freedom, for true equality. Besides how can you divide a country if its already divided in the first place. We are not equal. We are not free. But we can change that, That’s why we protest, that’s why we march, not because we want to be better than others, but because we want to be treated equally. Many will say that it’s not a good platform to use, but it’s one of the biggest stages in america, something that everyone will see and hear about. If that’s not a good platform, then what is? Posting #black rights with some quote about resilience on twitter? Macklemore says it best in the song white privilege “You can join the march, protest, scream and shout Get on Twitter, hashtag and seem like you’re down, But they see through it all, people believe you now? You said publicly, “Rest in peace, Mike Brown” You speak about equality, but do you really mean it? Are you marching for freedom, or when it’s convenient? Want people to like you, want to be accepted, That’s probably why you are out here protesting. Don’t think for a second you don’t have incentive Is this about you, well, then what’s your intention? What’s the intention? What’s the intention?” You can post everything you want, you can protest and yell all you want, but if you’re only there to look good, then you aren’t supporting anything at all. If we keep pretending that racism isn’t real, then nothing will ever change, It’s time to take a stand, or in this case a knee, and fight for rights of ALL HUMANS.

CC BY-SA 4.0 We are all human. by Brynna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Chidiogo 3 months ago

Bryanna,
    First let me just say I really like how you came after a strong subject like this and saying how you feel. I agree with you, we are all human beings and each and every one of us especially people who are in the minority group, need to be heard loud and clear. In a country that preaches about freedom of speech, when people want to speak freely and say their speech, some people seem to have a problem with that. I really love this topic thanks.

2. Caleigh 3 months ago

Hello Brynna, I found your article very compelling and it spoke to me a lot. I definitely will agree with what you said in your post. I believe we have the right to kneel, and protest, and march so that people in our country can be treated equally. I also will agree with your point about how people talk about this issue in negative ways, but yet kneeling gets a worse connotation than what celebs post on their social media. I agree that we need to take a stand/kneel for equality in our country and fight for that right that our founding fathers gave us. I hope you continue to write more about this topic because its a big deal in our society today, and I hope to read more from you. Thanks for sharing
    Caleigh

3. Sebastian 3 months ago

Bryanna,
    I love your passion throughout the piece, it’s what makes this such a great read. But in ways your passion gets in the way. I love the content and your information, but your organization is off. Try and divide this into paragraphs, this will make reading easier on the reader so it’s not one huge blob. Then try and find a thesis and some topic sentences. After that you’re almost done. I saw a lot of random capital letters throughout your piece. I’m not sure if those are supposed to be there, but if they aren’t I would take them out. Overall, you’re on a great road to a powerful piece, just a couple steps to take.
    Thanks!