Do you ever find yourself looking at an article telling you what clothes are trending, or what you should do on a Friday afternoon, where to find happiness, or what you should not do in March? We all read these articles about what we should and shouldn’t do; they are everywhere. Although, yes, some of those articles are informative, we don’t bother to observe the world for ourselves and do things our own way, but rather we take 15 minutes out of our day to read articles on what books to read on a rainy day, or what to do when you go out with your friends. In fact, you know what all these articles are trying to do? They are trying to help us all fit in and conform to what other people are doing. And for this reason, I believe our society today is more boring and in fact, less intelligent. We don’t even have the opportunity to make our own mistakes and find out what we truly love (even if it is different) because it’s easier to just read about it and get perfectly right the first time. 
“Familiarity is the social glue that bonds people together, and we deliberately seek out the similar and the recognizable in order to feel secure. If we’re doing the same as everyone else, we must be doing it right, and finding a reflection of ourselves in those around us is a form of validation.” Joanna Cannon from <a href="https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brainstorm/201607/we-all-want-fit-in" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Psychology Today</a>, in this quote, is actually more than right. We all want to find a sense of belonging and there nothing wrong with that, but the unfortunate part of this situation is we have different versions of ourselves and we choose not to show everyone the one true you! For some strange reason we choose the ordinary over the extraordinary. But ask yourself this: would you rather be another person “being” or be someone who does incredible things that no one else does, and be recognized and remembered for it? 

TO BE CONTINUED
different photodifferent photodifferent photo

CC BY-SA 4.0 Fitting In??? by Mia is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kaitlyn 8 months ago

Dear Mia,
    Your article is different and very interesting. This is because you article is about other articles and actions of people of this time period.
    Something that stood out to me was, “Familiarity is the social glue that bonds people together, and we deliberately seek out the similar and the recognizable in order to feel secure. If we’re doing the same as everyone else, we must be doing it right, and finding a reflection of ourselves in those around us is a form of validation.” This is bold because of the meaning that were are only interested in familarity, which hold us back from opportunity.

2. Caden 8 months ago

Dear Mia,
    I agree with your article people should do their best to be individuals. However the problem I have is that you don’t really get the chance to be an individual except outside of work or school. A lot of people have limited chances to be individuals and explore what they want because work and school don’t allow them to do so. Honestly a lot of social factors play into this, people are worried that they will be singled out and disliked for being themselves and honestly that is something we need to stop teaching children to do.

3. Alexandria 8 months ago

Dear Mia,
    I am very interested in what you are writing about.I really agree with what you are saying in your post.We do spend a lot of time trying to figure out what not to do so we don’t look dumb or whatever the case the may be,and we never do things that we never want to do.It’s very sad that no matter what we do someone will always have an opinion about it,but that’s definitely the world we live in.

I really like who included a quote it makes your piece stronger with that.Regardless of who you are too.We should all just stop caring about what people have to say and live life but that’s going to take mad long,but it’s possible.

Regards,
    Alexandria

4. Jessica 8 months ago

hi! I really liked your piece, and how you decided to challenge societies standards. I agree with your thought that our generation is quite boring, because everybody is just like everybody else. I think we need to start finding uniqueness beautiful and that we need to start praising variety. We need to know that it is okay to be different, and actually, it is awesome to be different! Thank you for this read!
    Jessica

5. Sebastian 8 months ago

Hey Mia, this is a great piece on the ideas of the social norm and whether or not to conform to it. I identify with this passage because I too am guilty of doing just this. Your reasoning resonated with me and inspires me to do something spontaneous with friends! I agree with the idea of building character with new ideas and new mistakes. These small decisions of keeping the internet out of our lives will have momentous effects in real life. Your syntax of the piece inspires me to do just this: explore the world for what it is, not some internet top ten.